Friday, February 09, 2007

Salkowski Plans for a Marathon

I'm finally ready to put the feet up and watch some bad TV with a beer in hand, so this will be brief. This blog will return to its usual format by next Wednesday at the latest, and in the meantime I'll mostly just be typing out my training. No more complaining about work, but suffice it to say I'm thankful for how easy and pleasant my job is the vast majority of the time.

Today was day one of back to back marathon pace-ish workouts, with 7 miles at 6:10 pace. Mystery Coach had cautioned against running much faster even if I was feeling great, and I tried my best to follow his advice. Better to be a little more fresh for next week's race than to blow it early by having to recover for half the week after beating myself up today and tomorrow. By now I've worn a groove into the road for this workout, and while the legs felt a little sluggish after moving along a bit yesterday I was anxious to repeat the circuit. I started a bit fast, and when I saw I was at 6 minute flat pace after two miles I started trying to relax more in an effort to hit the times the coach prescribed. I was now on my one mile course, so it was just a matter of slowly easing the pace back two seconds per mile. The rest of the workout went by quickly, and I felt worlds better than I did while running 6:18 pace a week ago. I ended up averaging 6:08 for the seven miles, and a check of the heart rate afterwards found me at a measly 144. At one minute I was at 104, so I jogged it in for an even 10 miles.

The most interesting news for me today came in the form of a phone call from my wife Kiera. Apparently she and Angie have been talking about running and dating (though perhaps not in that order). Together they've cooked up a plan.

Training: 10 miles, 1:04:08, 625 pace, w/7 miles at 6:08 pace

1 comment:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

and muchos gracias on working with kiera on training time...