Friday, March 02, 2007

Compare/Contrast

Looks like Eric and I ran the same workout today, though he was stuck on a treadmill while I was in short-sleeves (for most of it) under sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-30's. The plan of course was to show Eric up, since I read his report before heading out this morning for my run and I knew this was my one shot at one-upping him. Let's compare:

Eric: "Marathon pace workout on treadmill. Two mile warmup (13:54), then seven miles at current MP (based on heart rate of 151-156) in 6:02, 6:03, 6:03, 6:05, 6:09, 6:10, 6:11. Adjusted the speed to keep HR around 155, which got tougher as the run went on. HR went as high as 159 for a short period, which was also around the time when I was feeling the best (mile 5 and 6). Seemed like the lower end, 151-153 was less comfortable than the 155-157 range. My form seemed to fall apart and breathing was a bit heavier. Interesting."

Mike: "Marathon pace workout on the roads, since only sissies run on treadmills. Two mile warm up (14:10, damn, he's already ahead of me), then seven miles at Mystery Coach's suggested 6:05 pace. I tend to use the 'average lap pace' with the geek watch on these and try to zero in on the correct speed over the course of the whole effort, but I noticed I passed the first mile at 6 flat. Adjusted to try to stay closer to the target, but found the average pace fluttering between 6 and 6:01. At two miles I ditched my second layer by the side of the road and continued, still feeling comfortable and under control. By mile four the breathing was a little heavier, but still felt relaxed. By the time I started mile 5 the pace was now between 6:01 and 6:02, and it was only when I began the 6th mile that the quads started to feel heavy. I noticed it took a bit more effort to move them through quickly, and I guessed the 2K on Wednesday had something to do with this.

As I rounded the turn to finish mile 6 I was confident I had the edge on my bearded friend from North Dakota. Unfortunately, he had one more trick up his sleeve. Somehow Eric sent a covert agent to observe my run (to make sure I wasn't cheating, I suppose). When it looked like there was no stopping me, the agent made off with my prized California International Marathon technical long sleeve, which I had dropped on the side of the road where one lap ends and the next begins (my one mile course). As I approached my "marker" I noticed it was gone! Immediately my breathing increased as I angrily cursed my carelessness. About a quarter mile later I finally regained my composure, and remembered that a cool last mile would be my best revenge. I finished the run with a 6:02 average, then searched in vain for my prized shirt instead of taking my heart rate. With a fist shake and an expletive aimed squarely at Fargo I jogged a final mile back to the garage door."

The score: Eric gets the mileage award, since he ended up with 11 to my 10. I feel I took Eric down on pace, but I get negative points for running 3 seconds faster per mile than instructed. I feel I was quite relaxed (save for the stolen property incident), so I score a point there. I guess that puts us about even, but I am prepared to concede if Eric's agent brings back my marathon shirt and leaves it by the garage door. You'll earn your own damn shirt soon enough.

End note: The comments about treadmill running were made for comic effect, and in no way reflect the actual opinions of the author of this blog. Also, Eric and any of his accomplices are considered innocent of all accusations unless proven otherwise in a court of law.

******UPDATE*********


Eric emailed me to taunt me with this obviously doctored photo of my Cal International shirt (nice try Eric, but everyone knows it was leprechauns last year. The unicorns mating was on the shirt the year before). I'm fairly confident my shirt is still in Tucson, and I won't be the least bit surprised to find a ransom note in the coming days.



An anonymous tipster also submitted this map, which clearly shows the route the likely assailant used to intercept my prized garment. Oh, this isn't over. Not by a long shot!

Training: 10 miles, 1:03:13, 6:19 pace, w/7 miles at 6:02 pace

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Great workout Mike. While there are no points for going faster than the predetermined pace, it always feels a little good to know that you were capable of it.

When I look at the pace I run on recovery days I realize it is too fast, but I feel like I'm slacking if I take it easy. No matter how many stories I read about the Africans starting their easy runs out at 9 min mile pace and maybe getting down into the 6:00s by the end of the run, I can't bring my self to back down. Hard days hard and easy days easy. If only it were that simple.

And wtf with shirt bandits? Today's sign of the apocolypse I guess.

Keep up the good work.

Eric said...

I can't respond to this right now...I need a moment.

For now, I will say this: nice run, cheater!

Mike said...

Oh, if only motionbased worked on your hamster wheel, then we'd know the real truth.
Just give me my shirt!

Blaxabbath said...

Someone stole your shirt? Who would even want that? I mean, don't let it sound like I'm bringing down the good name of the CIF marathon (or your scent that was most likely consuming the shirt) -- but why would anyone want that?

You need to move back to the good life on 10th Street, Mike. Yeah, they just found a couple bodies at the apartment a block away but you can be sure the place was NOT littered with stolen tech-shirts( I think it was a lovers' quarrel). Point is, those stucco neighborhoods of families living peacefully next to Sabino Canyon is dangerous. I mean, have you seen the terror alert level go down since you've over there?

Think about it.

Phil said...

I can't believe someone jacked your shirt. Better make sure your shoes are on tight next time you're out.

Marc said...

Nice workout. I'll reserve judgement on the oneupmanship though.

Sunny skies? Temps in the mid-30's? Short sleeves?? A real man would have run bare chested.