Friday, March 23, 2007

Fresh Perspective

Yesterday's run found me a bit off following two days spent around marathon pace. The plan was to stay out for about 90 minutes, but I found myself wishing to be done sooner. This doesn't happen often, so I figured I just had to ride it out. I progressed from about 7:20 pace down into the 6:40's for an average by the end, and though I tried slowing down a few times it seemed to make me feel worse rather than better. All in all I'm glad it's in the books, and I'll leave it at that.

I woke this morning to thunder, lightning and rain. Finn's alarm went off extra early, and as I groggily got out of bed I wasn't really looking forward to getting soaked to the bone and splashed by cars for an hour. Luckily for me, I had no choice since my friend Scott was driving up to our neighborhood for his last 20 miler before running Boston. It's hard to stand a guy up when he's parking in your driveway. I was planning on fitting in my 6x200 strides on the roads while with him, but after about two miles as we approached the rock hard track we decided that he would do a loop through the canyon while I did my track work. The infield was abandoned, probably due to the downpour, so I had no worries of being kicked off again. I knocked out the 200's while splashing through puddle-filled lanes 1 and 2 at 36-38 seconds. While the trainers were soaked, I still felt pretty good all things considered. When I rejoined Scott he mentioned how nice it was running through the canyon, and we started talking a bit about the surroundings. Sometimes following your usual routes with someone who doesn't travel on them often gives you a fresh perspective. Sure it was raining buckets for much of the run, but I couldn't help but get caught up in the enthusiasm that seems to present in everyone during their last month of marathon training. He's ready to roll, and by the end of the run I felt ready too. Not ready enough to join him on the 11 miles he had left to run alone, but ready enough.

Training: Today, 9 miles, 1:00:20, 6:41 pace
Yesterday, 13.20 miles, 1:28:36, 6:43 pace

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

thanks for your advice on my blog Mike.

great video the other day btw. it's wonderful to put faces to your family! what adorable kids :)

Dusty said...

I love running in the rain, but hard to get out there when it has already started. Nice workouts.

Bill G said...

Hey Mike, I've been reading your blog for a while (I think I first linked to it through Dallen's blog) but I just noticed your link to Ingo and realized what a small world it is because I just ran the Tokyo Marathon with a friend of Ingo's in Japan (AZ Running is the blog link on Ingo's site). Too funny. I'm thinking of running the California Int'l Marathon this year - sounds like you'd recommend it?