Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Stuck in a Moment

After meeting the family for dinner out after work last evening I took some time by myself to do a little shopping. I was in a good mood and had just started walking out to my car after picking up some things for work at an office supply store when it hit me: I felt great. More importantly, the legs felt great. This epiphany didn't do me much good at that specific time and place (8:32 pm while strolling in a parking lot), but it was still comforting. I knew at that moment that if someone handed me my racing flats that I could have turned out a solid 5K right then and there. It would have to be a multi-loop course around the Chilis, the Circuit City, the Office Max and Shoe Pavillion, but I could do it.

I woke this morning with the same optimism, earlier than usual in order to drive out to the decent track for a quick workout before Kiera had to go for her run. 4-6 strides followed by one 800 was the deal, with the goal of hitting the first lap at 70 then turning it up for the second one. I know this might seem incredibly short for a workout, but I was excited about getting a shot at going fast even for just two laps one last time before the race. After three miles of warm up and strides I walked to the line and started the watch. I was at 18 seconds out of the turn while still accelerating, then 35 at 200. I locked into pace and saw 1:09 at halfway. The second lap I focused on trying to keep my hips from bouncing while keeping my eyes focused straight ahead up the track. I could feel a smile start to tickle the edges of my mouth as I dug in and could feel myself still speeding up. At 600 the forearms started to tighten a little, but it wasn't until the last 100 that the chassis started shaking a little and the lungs began to burn. I was gassed when I hit the line, but seeing 2:15 on the watch gave me another quick rush.

I know, it was just one 800 meter repeat. Hell, it's not even a repeat since I only did the one. But even a short burst at this speed is something I've never been able to do, even back in high school. The body has changed, at least a little, and the mind is starting to change with it. I can run with the guys in the group ahead of me. While I might never knock out 6 or more 800's at this speed, there are faster times ahead for me, even at 35 years old.

If this workout was supposed to sharpen me up, I feel it did the job. I can't wait for Friday.

Training: 5.5 miles, w/5x100 accelerations and one 800 at 2:15 (69/66)

8 comments:

Scooter said...

Sharpen it did, but probably mostly on your head. Regardless, it matters.

Andrew said...

I envy the feeling. Great speed there Mike.

eric said...

Neat little workout, Mike. That will give you some gears on Friday. Lookng forward to the race--it will be a good one.

Thomas said...

short, but ... WOW!

Dusty said...

SWEET!!! Awesome job!!

Love the smile while doing it - that is the sign that you are more than ready to kick some ass tomorrow!! Good luck!

Blaxabbath said...

So I won't make it back until Saturday morning. Sorry, Mike. Good luck though. Just remember -- that 2:15 alone would get you into a regional 800 race -- so I'd say that, relatively speaking, you are more than ready for JUST SOME COLLEGE 5000.

Sempre Libera said...

Very nice! Good luck tomorrow!

Mike said...

Thanks everyone, hopefully I'll have a good report for you Saturday.