Saturday, April 07, 2007

The cheap shot

Mike sent me the article from Running Times by Jason Karp ("Miles to go Before I Sleep") and after reading it I have to say before making statements like this "I think Lydiard ruined more athletes than he helped." physiologist should at least take a few minutes to learn a few things about Arthur's system. Forty-two weeks of the year did NOT have the 100 mile a week label applied to them. Nor did Arthur coach a huge number of athletes,

"In New Zealand, I probably coached about 20 local lads. I never recruited anybody. They all came to me. Out of these 20, 12 represented New Zealand. When I went overseas, I started coaching coaches, not athletes."

So maybe the coaches misinterpreted his teaching but Arthur seemed to get his points across quite well to even children: Arthur's talk with kids , just go down to the comments section and you'll see what an inspiration and excellent teacher Arthur was.

If you need a much better discussion of mileage not many say it better than this one: Miles Make Champions

Both David Costill and Jason Karp have taken a step backward on who athletes should listen to in regard to their training.

Starting next week I'll post on Arthur's five points to realize if a runner is to be ultimately successful (as a hint to physiologist the 100 mile week is not among them)

3 comments:

Abadabajev said...

Thank you for Miles make champions link. Very nice article.

Mystery Coach. You are correct. Exercise physiologists have 'hi-jacked' distance running. Bastards.

Volume volume volume. That's what propelled the Bulgarian National Weightlifting Team to dominate the sport in the 80's and 90's with their 6 sessions per day.
3-4 hard weeks followed by a cut back week. I read many training samples from that era and the volume was mind boggling. It was unheard of. But slowly the national team adapted to this horrific quantity and world records started to fall. Eventually all world records were owned by Bulgarians.

osgood said...

That's a disappointing op-ed from RT. The Lydiard summation at kidsrunning.com might be the the best summation I've ever seen of Lydiard's principles. So many seem to get lost in minutae or seduced by the "100 mpw" tag that they overlook what he actually preached. Thanks for posting that link!

Eric said...

I'm anxious to read the Costill/Karp article now. I suppose now that the United States has spent the last ten years developing some talent the correct way, it's time for someone to come back out and tear the program to shreds again.

Thanks for the links Mystery Coach. They were good ones.