Sunday, April 22, 2007

Every Week Eventually Ends

A nice day puts an end to a week I'll be happy to put to bed. This morning Lucas and I joined Dan for his long run, and strangely enough we felt good enough to put in a full 20 miles. It's been some time since I've stayed out for two hours or more, and to do so the day after a cross-country 5K gave me some pause. Still, sometimes it's nice to just get out there and run for a good long while. Here's how the week went down:

Mo: 10 miles at 6:40, felt good
Tu: 8 miles slow and easy with dead legs, abandoned 200's workout
W: 6 miles easy, dead legs, abandoned 200's workout after 2 repeats
W: 6.2 easy
Th: 5 easy w/10x100 accelerations/strides
Fr: Off (shudder)
Sa: 5K race in 17:05, 2 mile warm up and four steps of cool-down
Su: 20 miles
Total: 60 miles in 7 sessions

It was a strange week. I felt great on Monday, which was the day after the Race for the Cure 5K. In retrospect I probably ran too fast, since I felt lousy on Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday I felt good again, then a planned zero on Friday led to a second place at the race on Saturday. The 20 miles today was a bit more than I had planned, but it was good for the psyche.

It's been a nice day with the kids here, I hope your weekend is as enjoyable as mine is turning out to be.

Training: 20 miles, 2:13:00, 6:40 pace, some good hills and good company

4 comments:

Omniscient said...

Despite the length of this run and the time at which it more than likely began, I am insanely jealous of Lucas, Dan, and you. 20 milers are what make Sundays enjoyable.

Great race this weekend!

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

ian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ian said...

What a week, Mike. Your openness and your toughness--both on the roads, and in all that other stuff--continue to inspire.

Sempre Libera said...

Very glad to hear your week ended on a good note. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, and that the week's news only added to that hefty emotional weight. It's good to know that a solid, hard run is more than enough to lift one's spirits!