Friday, April 06, 2007

Head Fake

For the second time in one week the coach gave me a workout with a "choose your own adventure" component. First it was the exhange run on Tuesday, where I got to choose whether I would run 4 x 1 mile sections or 4 x 3/4 mile sections. I kind of ended up splitting the difference that day by wimping out with one lap to go on the last effort. Today I had 8 to 10 miles planned at 6 minute pace, depending again on how things felt. When I read the workout last evening it sounded pretty tough, especially since it's followed by a bit more work at that pace on Saturday. I've gotten used to carving out 7 miles at 6:00-6:04 pace as the first day of my back to back weekend workouts, but for some reason carrying on longer had me a little worried, especially since I had probably pressed the gas a bit too hard on Thursday's "easy" run.

Morning arrived early with Finn growling sometime in the late-4's. He's been sick (hey, it's been awhile since the last time), so he's been off his game. Kiera got up with him first but he was crabby enough to get everyone up before too long. I drank my coffee and realized I was quickly getting sucked into the morning vortex that delays workouts, when suddenly Kiera picked up a now-sleeping Finn and crept off to the bedroom to catch a few z's with him (she's lucky enough to not have a run scheduled). While the workout was looming, I knew I had to keep our daughter quiet so we headed out for a muffin together.

Finally, with everyone fed and awake (again) I headed off for the workout. It was late already, I was hungry, and I was still leery of how the run would feel and when I would call it quits. As it turns out, I shouldn't have worried. The legs knew what to do, the lungs played along, and within a few miles I knew it was in the bag for at least eight. The pace hovered between 5:55 and 5:56 as I headed up and back on some of the Down and Up loop, and after about five miles I turned onto my usual one mile time trial loop. Seven came and went, and soon after I felt the first small bit of fatigue in the legs. The lungs were still good and I still had my stride, so I continued on. At eight I figured I could aim for the maximum, and while the pace slipped to 5:57 and the lungs finally started huffing a little at nine and a half, I finished feeling good. The heart rate was 156 immediately afterwards, and down to 124 at a minute.

Today it felt like the body proved the mind wrong, which is a nice change.

Training: 12 miles, 1:14:03, 6:07 pace, w/10 miles at 5:57 pace

3 comments:

Michael said...

Nice run, you have to like a surprise like that now and again... not that you didn't deserve it.

I'm very interested to see/follow how the rest of your summer plays out and your build to Chicago (keep up with the good work).

Thomas said...

One day, when I get really good at running after years and years of training, I want to run a race at the same pace as you do your training miles. That will be the day. *sigh*

Mike said...

Thanks Michael, it was a nice surprise. A not so nice surprise was falling ill later in the day and not running today (Saturday). I guess we take the good with the bad.

Thomas, you are much closer than you think. I vividly remember the first time I broke 40 minutes for a 10K, which is something you have already achieved. Once you get the miles up (as you have), I find improvement comes easier.