Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Run Forever

A quick glance at the preliminary training plan for the Chicago Marathon penned by Mystery Coach reveals that I officially start training on May 7, which is the day after my next race. While I've emailed the good folks at the marathon, I've yet to hear back from them. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions for getting into the sold-out race, I certainly appreciate you thinking of me. I tried going the "semi-elite" route, but lacking a 1:10 half or a 2:31 marathon during the past 12 months (or ever) doesn't do me any favors. I'm still holding out hope through some other channels, and I'll let you know what ends up happening. I decided not to go the charity route for my own personal reasons, but it's certainly a good idea for people inclined to persue it.

I headed out this morning with a touch of soreness in the legs. I'm not certain whether I should blame the 5K on Saturday or the 20 miles on Sunday for this, but my gut tells me it's probably about a 50-50 split. Still, it was a beautiful morning so I thought I would try to extend the run for as long as I felt comfortable. In the back of my mind was a conversation with Lucas on Sunday where he mentioned doing a strong run all the way to the end of the road in Sabino Canyon on Wednesday, so I wasn't too eager to really push the gas the day before.

While the legs never really stopped feeling heavy, they did turn over fairly well and I ended up getting in 14 miles. The pace kept dropping most of the way, with the exception of a few sections through gut-check alley where just maintaining was hard enough. I did feel ready to call it a day after 90 minutes, which was around where I felt the pinch a bit on Sunday's long run. One thing going back into conditioning will solve is the extra pull on my system I feel when at this point. I can vouch for the existence of the "nearly tireless state" that Arthur Lydiard wrote about. It just takes some work (and some time) to get there.

Training: 14 miles, 1:30:41, 6:29 pace

3 comments:

Michael said...

You're good at writing; why not see if they have any media spots available? I suppose you first have to find a paper or magazine that would be interested in your story. Anyhow, the only catch would be your starting position, just a thought. Good luck with the training…

Blaxabbath said...

Michael has a point there. Coincidently enough, I've been pushing to have Greg Hansen removed -- perhaps this is your big chance?

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike - you have a very good shot at sub-1:10 half in the Hobblecreek half marathon in August if you do no mind a 10 hour drive. It is about 3 minutes faster than a flat sea-level course. Elevation drop is only 1400 feet, but it is just perfect, very very steady, you can fly on it. You can also try Bryce Canyon half in July, it is about a minute slower based on the performances I've seen, but I've never run it myself.