Monday, April 23, 2007

Strange

After about 4 easy miles this morning I noticed I was starting to work down the pace, even though I really wanted to focus on recovery. To combat this, and because I simply felt like it I suddenly veered off the roads in Sabino Canyon and took to some less-traveled trails. This involved much rock-hopping across streams and weaving through narrow single-track, and I stopped a few times to take in the views and listen to the quiet. It was a very different run for me, with no timetable and no urgency to get back to the house (it's my day off from work, Kiera's day off from running and Haiden's no-school day).

When I got back home there was a message on the machine. A quick call back to my mom revealed the news we all knew was coming. It had happened sometime while I was out in the canyon, less than an hour ago. When I told Kiera she mentioned that half-way through breakfast, just a little while earlier, our four-year-old daughter Haiden had looked up suddenly and asked, "Did someone just die?" She was probably thinking of Kiera's Grandad, who had passed about a year ago, since she had asked about him fairly recently. Still, this was very unlike her as it's probably only the second time she's mentioned death to either of us, and neither of us speak about death or dying in front of her.

While I'm not religious, or even very spiritual for that matter, I can't deny that something very strange happened this morning. I'm certainly sad about the news of my Grandmother passing, but given the circumstances it's also a great relief to the family and probably to her as well.

Training: 10 miles, roads and lots of trails, 1:11:01, 7:06 pace

10 comments:

Mark said...

Mike, So sorry to hear about the loss to your family. My prayers go out to all of you.
-mark

angie's pink fuzzy said...

wow - sounds like a different/good/unlike-you run this morning

and so sorry to hear about your grandmother ((hugs))

Sempre Libera said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. As for the coincidence of events - Haiden's question, your decision to veer off the roads - I don't think it's so strange. I had a very similar experience a few years ago when someone close to me passed away very unexpectedly. I can't put my finger on it either, but I do think that when we let our guards down, we find we're somehow connected at a deeper level.

Ingo said...

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

When my colleague and friend died tragically a few years ago I veered off the roads and found a new loop which is until today my favourite run, my so-called home loop.

You'll go back to these trails one day.

Love2Run said...

Mike, I'm saddened to hear about your grandmother. It is strange and nice how you took the quiet path this morning. Be well.

Thomas said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. May she rest in peace.

Dusty said...

My thoughts, prayers & sympathy to you and your family.

My nephew did something similar when my Grandmother passed. I agree with Sempre Libera, I do believe we are all connected... kind of how sometimes you think of someone just before the phone rings and it is them.

Marc said...

My condolences on the death of your grandmother.

Your taking the trails less-traveled, un-rushed, and losing yourself in the sblime in the Canyon - a fitting parallel.

Evan said...

Mike, sorry to hear about your grandmother. My thoughts are with you.

Ryan Cleary said...

sorry to hear the news. best to you and your family.