Monday, May 14, 2007

Ahhh, Sleep

Almost eight hours of rest last evening, and I could tell the difference immediately this morning as I headed out to meet Lucas in Sabino Canyon. While I covered a fair amount of hills, the lungs and legs felt quite good throughout the run. When Lucas and I parted ways I had planned on returning home at 10 miles, but since I was feeling good and keeping the pace mellow I extended the run to 13 miles. I'm working at really keeping the "easy" days easy this week in order to regenerate for the 5K, and I felt today's run fit well in that mold. I know my definition of easy doesn't always seem fitting, but this week is about racing well and not about maximizing my steady state and all that other stuff I'm usually rattling on about.

Tomorrow is an interesting workout of 3x1 mile. The coach wants the first two run at 5:34, and the last one run as fast as I can manage. I'll start each mile at 7 minutes, which means about 85 seconds of recovery. I'm wondering if I can get under 5 flat for the last repeat without killing myself.

Check out Andrew's post today for a good discussion on Arthur Lydiard's conditioning phase and the different ways to approach it.

Time to ship some paintings.

Training: 13 miles, 1:28:28, 6:48 pace

6 comments:

Omniscient said...

We did a similar workout during cross country season this year. We started out with a 5:05 and then dropped the next two at 4:50. Then, Coach Li indicated it was time to go AFAYC (as fast as you can) and I ended up running 4:45 and then 4:40. So, at least in my experience, I think having a few slow intervals allows you to maximize your effort on the last rep and replicate the "hurt" found during a race. Plus, I think a super hard effort 5 days out from a race is very beneficial (once again, in my experience). Anyways, good luck with the workout and see you on Sunday for sure.

Lawrence said...

That is an interesting workout on tap tomorrow.....

Eric said...

I think you forgot to add the word 'controlled' to the end of the second sentence of the second paragraph.

Dusty said...

Mile repeats - I haven't done those in years, closest I've gotten lately in 1200x3. I'm putting down $10 that you can pull off the sub-5 on the 3rd!

eric said...

I'll give you $20 if you don't try the sub-5.

Mike said...

Dusty, give Eric $10. I ran 5:01 after hitting 1200 in 3:48. I ignored the watch for the last rep and just tried to run as fast as I could while remaining relaxed. A bit of flailing and a real kick could have gotten me under 5, but I'm hoping to save that for the finish line on Sunday.

With some luck (a lot of luck) I'll be able to see Omniscient on the last 1000 straight before the finish line turn.