Sunday, May 06, 2007

Cinco de Mayo 10K


Finn and Dad bringing up the rear in the kid race.

I ended up in 5th place today at the annual Cinco de Mayo 10K in 34:32. While I ran a whopping 6 seconds faster than last year, I wish now I had gone out a little more aggressively. I say that because I ended up getting outkicked after chasing down and duking it out with another runner over the second half of the course. Results are here. Perhaps if I'd gone out quicker than a 5:35 I could have stayed closer to my friend Shane, who ended up in third with a 34:02. Miles of 5:50, 5:27, 5:50, 5:24 and 5:24 followed, and while the 5:50's were on steep uphills, I noticed I had more trouble rolling quickly on the downhills. I really did give it all I had during the second half of the race, and fighting back and forth with another runner for those miles was fun and difficult at the same time. When I threw in my last surge to drop him right around the 6 mile mark I really thought I had it, but when he fought back one last time I could not hold him off.

After the race was when the real fun started, though Ash (far right) and Angie (teal shirt/blue shorts) dropped Haiden, Finn and me early on. Angie ran her first 10K today, so drop by her blog and read all about it.

They also had a jumping castle for the kids at the awards ceremony, which kept Haiden happy and contained. Kiera snapped a hundred pics as usual and got to spend some time with Angie, which was nice. All in all it was a great morning, though I do wish I had tried to put the hurt on a little more during the first mile or two. While it probably would have meant slowing down later on, showing any patience at all at races of 5-10K always leaves me second-guessing.

Training: Today, 11 miles, 10K race in 34:32, w/2 mile warm up and 3 mile cool down
Yesterday: horrible 2.5 miles, should have stayed in bed

8 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

good job out there today. i cheered for you as you passed while duking it out with the fourth-place guy. you looked so cool out there - like running that pace was a walk in the park!

Thomas said...

Not a bad result; it's not a million miles off your PR. After running the x/c 5k from the front I don't think lack of aggression is your problem.

robtherunner said...

Nice job, Mike! Looks like a fun day from the pictures.

Lawrence said...

Good race, good pics......

Phil said...

Great race ... one can tell that you are still a contender by the fact that you didn't mention that you were only 2 seconds behind the #1 finisher in your age group. Most of use would have focused on that fact alone. Congratulations with your 5th place finish.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

ian said...

I'm in no position to be giving a runner of your ability advice, but dude, that sombrero has got to cost you a couple seconds per mile. Unless it's Coolmax. Is the sombrero Coolmax?

Dusty said...

Great race - you are an inspiration!

Looks like fun with the kids!

Sempre Libera said...

"When I threw in my last surge to drop him right around the 6 mile mark "

That last 0.2 is deceptive, isn't it? 10k has got to be the trickiest distance out there, I think - fast and not. Nice job!

And those pictures are great!