Sunday, May 27, 2007

Conditioning, Week One

Mo: 4 easy
Tu: 10
We: 13.75
We: 6.2 easy
Th: 10
Fr: 10 w/7 at 6:10 pace
Sa: 18
Su: 8 easy
Total: 80 miles

All in all things don't look too bad for my first week back at the bottom. Monday should have been longer, but I wouldn't trade extra miles for the opportunity I had to run with my sister, who I only see a few times a year. The rest of the week went well, save for feeling rough yesterday and a bit tired today. For some reason I've been having some trouble sleeping lately, and I'm guessing allergies are to blame. While I was originally hoping for 10 miles, I opted to cut it short at 8 when it seemed that the legs were feeling more tired as I continued instead of more energized. I remember the coach urging me to take it easier in the past the day after the back to back workouts, so I used that as a partial justification for wimping out.

Next week is more of the same, though I'll be doing two miles at 5:45 as my first "examination run" Monday, then a hilly run on Tuesday. The back to back runs will move to Thursday-Friday for good so that Kiera can have Saturdays to run with Angie on occasion and then get her long run in on Sunday. As I speak she's in Sabino Canyon putting in two hours, which on trails will dwarf my own long run yesterday.

Time to begin my weekend, which apparently involves a trip to Chuck E. Cheese. Daughter Haiden swears I promised her as much in the middle of the night while trying to get her back to sleep. Anything's possible at that hour I guess.

8 miles, 54:56, 6:52 pace

6 comments:

Thomas said...

Wrong attitude. An easy day after the double header is not wimping out.

Will the longest run of the week always be part of the double header? I am planning on doing a similar workout myself, but was more thinking along the way of doing the double header on Tuesday/Wednesday, and then have the long run on Friday.

Eric said...

I agree with Thomas. You would do well to stop refering to good decisions as 'wimping out'.

Still a bit quick for a what was likely a hilly recovery run. Steel gets its strength when it's removed from the furnace.

Mike said...

I was being a bit glib with the "wimping out" comment, but that being said I would like to have the body feel good enough to make 10 feel easy on any day.

In my case the second day will be the longest run, but your idea is interesting (especially for an ultra guy like you). Don't you love how even one of those races makes you an "ultra" now?

Eric said...

Ah, baloney!! You say stuff like that all the time. I'm not buying into the self-deprecation anymore! Strong like bull! =)

There will be days, especially after a tough Saturday where 10 (hell, six) will just not feel easy. You just can't feel weak when it does.

I know you get it, the trick is getting you to believe it!

Dusty said...

That is cool that you got to run with your sister! I would trade distance any day if I got to run with a family member.

Allergies - I feel for you and know where you are at. Claritin and Flonase are my friends.

Mark said...

that's a nice solid week

looks like quite a few of us bloggers are in-sync gearing up for a fall marathon which will make for some good times tracking and encouraging all along the path