Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ready for a New Week

The art show where I work is over, and while I'm still in the middle of an 11 day work "week", my daily hours at work and the time I spend on my feet will be getting back to normal. Ahhh, just in time for one more race.

Getting out of bed at 4 was a challenge this morning, but I managed to squeeze in 9 easy miles in time to get back before Kiera's long run. I was in a daze for much of it after getting home from work after 10pm, so I just kept things nice and easy. Here's how the week went down:

Mo: 10 miles easy at 6:49 pace, sore quads
Tu: 10 miles at 6:19 pace
We: 11 miles at 6:42 pace, a little tired
We: 6 miles with the group around 6:40 pace
Th: 10 miles w/5x1000 on 5 minutes in 3:13, 3:10, 3:11, 3:10, 3:12
Fr: 10 miles at 6:49 pace, failed long run, sore and tired
Sa: 16 mile redemption run, 6:32 pace
Su: 9 miles, 7:02 pace
Total: 82 in 8 sessions

I learned a bit about recovery (or what happens when I don't take it when I need it) after bombing the long run on Friday, and I tried to be mindful of the lesson on my run today. While I may not be happy about my limits, I'd like to think I'm learning to respect them more.

Thomas is talking about miles and rebuilding for a marathon, and it sounds like he's tuning in a bit to the Mystery Coach radio network via mine and Eric's blog. He noted how my miles have dipped a bit this year, and he's certainly right. While I was originally thinking I would jump back into marathon conditioning in the coming week, it looks like the coach is giving me one final chance at breaking 16 minutes for the 5K this week by taking it easy on me. After this week the training for Twin Cities will begin in earnest, and more miles are certainly part of the plan.

One thing I've been toying with is adding a few more doubles to the mix, but taking a slightly different approach due to my schedule as well as the weather in Tucson. Since the temperatures routinely climb into the 100's or more after about noon and stay that way until the sun goes down, I'm thinking of putting in my second run in the late morning, three hours or so after the first run. These will mainly be slow shakeout runs, as I certainly won't be ready for anything more serious just hours after my first run of the day. We'll see how this develops. With Kiera running and the both of us sharing an ever-shrinking window of tolerable temperatures something will have to give, and while I've never really gotten the hang of running doubles more than once a week I'm not ready to give up on them yet. Four day work weeks during the summer will help with this too.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Training: 9 miles, 1:03:20, 7:02 pace

3 comments:

Dusty said...

Looks like a nice week. Good luck in that 5k - you just have to believe -- you can do it!!

Phil said...

It's not only the air temperature but also the sun beating down on you that you should worry about. The compbination of the direct radiation from the sun in addition to the high air temperature can cause a heep of problems. You might want to consider doing your second run after the sun has set ... it may be hotter, but with the humidity still very low and no additional heat stress from the sun, you should have a more comfortable run.

Thomas said...

You came home from work at 10 and got up for a run a mere 6 hours later? Respect, but don't do that too often.