Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Today's Moderate: Brought to you by Easy

Today's run vanquished any thoughts that I had taken it too easy yesterday. From the first few steps on the road the legs felt much improved from the weekend, and by the end of the first mile I was already at 6:50 pace. When I touched the garage door after 9 more miles I was happy with what seemed like a good aerobic effort. The pace steadily crept downward, and it felt good to cover each successive mile a bit faster than the one before it.

If I've learned anything from this prolonged racing phase this spring, it's that I have a tendency to sell my recovery short. Intervals and speed sessions just beat me up more than I'm willing to admit, and I often compound the damage by either running too hard or for too long on the days where I'm not doing workouts.

With this in mind, I'm really going to take it easy tomorrow. I'm not going to get any more fit before the 10K, but I do have the opportunity to get more rested.

Trainng: 10 miles, 1:04:08, 6:24 pace, good progression down from 6:50 pace

4 comments:

Phil said...

Define "taking it easy" ... didn't think you could do it. You're going to fly this weekend.

Mark said...

that's a breath of fresh air

ya know your nitely lo temps equate to a good day hi temp around here

Sempre Libera said...

A good recovery sounds about right to me. I think rest is as important as the miles - after all, that's when all the muscle- and strength-building magic actually happens.

M. Tate said...

I too find it hard to slow myself down to a recovery speed. I just don't like running slow. But I keep hearing that it's good for me though so I just do it.

Good luck this weekend!