Monday, May 07, 2007

Twin Cities

I spent a fair amount of time composing two emails to the folks at the Chicago Marathon, but they won't even acknowledge me with a response. The day the race sold out was a difficult one for me, but that's not a good excuse for not registering earlier.

Chicago, I give up. Twin Cities has my resistration in hand, so I will be running alongside legendary bloggers Patrick and Seebo come October. I had a blast running alongside Seebo in December, and I hope to repeat the experience with some lower numbers this time.

Work is still insane, and with only one day off and 13 straight days on the clock ahead of me I'm getting a bit too busy to post often. Yesterday was a relaxed 10 miles with Lucas. Both of us had sore quads from the downhills in the race, so we slowly worked down from 7:50 pace to a bit under 7. Today the legs felt fresh, and after hitting the first mile at 6:50 I kept progressively working the pace down throughout the run. While the quads felt it a little after 7.5 miles, it really was a nice run.

Training: Today, 10 miles, 1:03:09, 6:19 pace
Yesterday: 10 miles, 1:08:08, 6:49 pace

12 comments:

Eric said...

Nice run today...quick!

We'll (Cindy and I) be joining you at TCM. We're not legendary yet, but we'll be running all the same.

See you there, buddy!

Thomas said...

Good choice, I've heard lots of good things about TCM. It may well be more enjoyable than Chicago anyway.

And just imagine, you'll be running with (behind?) the legendary Eric himself.

Eric said...

Thomas thinks I'm legendary...so what's your problem Mike?

Abadabajev said...

I hear legendary Abadabajev will be watching from the crowd. He has yet to figure out what twin cities mean.

Dusty said...

Sorry to hear about Chicago. Good luck at Twin Cities! Sounds like it will be a good run!

Hope work goes well.

Marc said...

A belated congrats on your recent 10k. Why don't they have bounce castles for grown ups?

Evan said...

Good choice. On average the weather has been co-operating on the first Sunday in October, so here's hoping that continues for you this year.

I'm very sorry I won't be there to cheer you on, I'll be on a large island in the Pacific. But I'll send my wife out to cheer for you.

Apropos of something else entirely, belated thanks for the October reminder to read Buddy Edelen's biography. It was good reading. There was someone who never rested ...

Patrick said...

If you don't mind a little motion sickness (a little less fast forward please), this video provides a good overview of the course up to mile 19:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QINWvH4VaxM

FYI: you'll pass my house at about the 3:24 mark in the video. Be sure to wave.

Patrick said...

Maybe we should all get together at Cossetta's for lunch on Saturday if the crew will be in town?

Mike said...

Eric, you will be a legend soon enough. Abadabajev, I think you should hold a meet and greet press conference for all the bloggers attending the race. Mark,

I think I'll get my shot in a castle next weekend when my parents have their 9 grand-kids all over at once, plus three more kids belonging to my cousin. It's the only way to keep them all contained!

Evan, I'm sure our paths with cross someday, and it sounds like you'll be having plenty of fun. Patrick, that sounds like a blast! I'm not sure if I'll tow the whole crew along for this one though, I guess it depends on if we take a summer vacation. It will be great to meet you though. Just don't order a club sandwich for lunch, or Eric will never let you forget it.

Eric said...

"You're going to eat a club sandwich the day before a marathon?"

"Yeah. Why not?"

"Are you sure??"

"Oh god...why not?"

"Oh, I don't know. Just seems weird. I bet it's a good sandwich, though."

I still feel bad about that. I hope I didn't get into your head with the sandwich talk. That was a hell of a pastrami. The Cheese Shop rocks.

Chad said...

Mike, cool to hear you're coming to TCM. I still haven't decided yet on a fall marathon, but I'd better hurry up if it's going to be TCM.

If you'd like a tour of the course once you get into town, just let me know. And lunch at Cossetta's sounds awesome.