Friday, June 29, 2007

Building Up

Hey, I finally updated my training log.

Tough one out there today. 14 miles were on the menu, with the first 10 steady and the last 4 at 6:08-6:12 pace. I lingered around the house a little longer than usual, as quite frankly I was a bit nervous about how it would go after some good running yesterday.

When I finally got out the door at 5:30 or so it was already cooking, but the first 8 miles went by at a good clip. With two miles to go before dropping the pace I started to get a bit nervous about how it would go, which always seems to happen these days. I eventually hit 10 miles and sped up, and the next four miles went by about the same way they did two weeks ago: All systems go until 2.5, a rough patch to three, sailing to 3.5, then a rough drag to the finish. I blame much of this on the 1 mile course I use, which is slightly downhill for the first half and uphill for the second half, but I'm still convinced this kind of terrain helps with mental toughness. Also, this is about the flattest stretch of paved road I can find within 5 miles of my neighborhood.

I definitely felt wiped out during the one mile cool-down, though now I'm feeling back to normal. I can feel the training getting more serious now, and I can look back with a chuckle on my first impressions of the schedule when Mystery Coach sent it along. "It looks so easy," I thought at the time.

Training: 15 miles, 1:38:12, 6:33 pace, w/10 miles at 6:33, 4 miles at 6:10

3 comments:

Michael said...

Nice run, that sort of training will go a long way come race day, rather the tough session(s) now.

So how hot does it get by the time a) you're mid-run and b) you done?

Wayne said...

Mike,
dropping in to say great work in your training and to read a couple of your posts for some motivation.

Just completed six months at my temporary home station (Iraq) and only have nine more to go.

After 2 consecutive months (Jan-Feb) of no running, I'm glad to report that I've put in some consistent running the past few months. No serious training, just some easy mileage (50-60 m/wk) to keep me sane.

Good luck in training and upcoming races.

Mike said...

Thanks Michael. It's been 75 or so when I start and between 80-85 when I finish on most days, but the humidity is low.

Wayne! So glad to hear you're safe, and it's nice to hear you've been able to put some good training in over the past few months. I hope you have an uneventful deployment, and I look forward to you getting back to your regular posts. I appreciate what you are doing and wish you the best.