Friday, June 01, 2007

In the Bag

Today's run felt a bit more difficult than I would have liked, but it's nice to have it in the bag. This was day two of the weekly back to back workouts, and it involved 10 miles at a steady pace followed by four miles at 6:12 pace. If I were feeling good I would probably have added at least a mile or two as a warm up along with a similar cool down, but today it was all about just getting it done. The quads are still adjusting to the cycling to work, and they were barking from about three miles in. I once again felt like I was dragging my toes, but as the miles passed things got a bit better. When I finally hit ten miles I hit the watch and sped up, and for about two miles I still felt comfortable while running 6:05-6:10 pace. The last two were more difficult but still manageable, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled to have it over with.

I was really hoping to hit my stride this week after a decent first week of conditioning, but things haven't exactly gone to plan. There's still a long time to start feeling good, and yesterday was a start. I even ended up driving today instead of riding to work, due in part to some nervousness over a changed flat from yesterday that wasn't holding air as well as having to transport a few heavy items to work.

Maybe if I allowed myself more time to ride to work it wouldn't load up the legs as much as it does. As it is now the ride is usually a knock-down, drag-out time trial, but that's what I get for drinking coffee too long while reading the funnies.

Training: 14 miles, 1:33:28, 6:32 pace. First 10 at 6:40, last 4 at 6:09

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

It's funny how the workouts sometimes seem more imposing on paper. When it comes time the body will usually respond to the will of the master. Nice work.