Sunday, June 24, 2007

Just Fine

All in all a nice week.

Mo: 13 easy/moderate
Tu: 12 moderate w/hills
We: 10 easy am., 6.2 easy pm.
Th: 11.5 w/9 at 6:10 pace
Fr: 20.7
Sa: 10 easy
Su: 10 w/2 at 5:39, 5:35 pace
Total: 93 miles in 8 sessions

Yesterday's run was a slow, easy slog just to move the blood around in the legs after the one-two punch of Thursday and Friday. Today was a bit of a different story with a two mile evaluation run on the ledger. I wasn't able to get out of the house until 8, which meant temperatures in the mid-80's. I was happy to wait this long because it meant my wife was able to get in 15 miles early, which was her longest run yet. When I reached the track after two miles I felt like I was cooking, so I decided to dive right into the evaluation after one warm up lap. Like last week I ignored the watch until I hit the first mile, where I saw 5:39. While it felt like the right speed (I was planning on 5:35-5:40), it did seem to take a bit more effort than last week and I was glad to see it wasn't any slower. The second mile actually felt much better than the first, and the resulting 5:35 was further proof. The heart was pumping along at 160 immediately afterwards, and instead of sticking around to get a recovery heart rate I hit the road and kept jogging.

About a mile and a half later a funny thing happened. I finally reached a patch of shade under a mesquite tree towards the top of a short hill I was running up and I just stopped. My breathing was heavy, and I found myself standing in the shade with my hands on my hips. It was a mile and a half back to house from here, and quite frankly I just felt hot and beat.

After about a minute I started heading home, but then veered into Sabino Canyon to finish up the usual Slow Down Loop. It meant more hills and more heat, but in that minute of rest and the half mile of running downhill I found myself with a bit of a second wind.

With ten miles in the bank I grabbed a bottle of Gatordade and proceeded to mow the lawn before coming inside to eat breakfast, so that was one hell of a second wind.

Training: Today, 10 miles, 1:06:47, 6:41 pace, w/2 mile evaluation at 5:39, 5:35
Yesterday, 10 miles, 1:11:23, 7:08 pace
Total miles, 93 in 8 sessions

2 comments:

Phil said...

Congratulations to your wife on her 15 miler. That's a great milestone to get by.

The heat will take a lot out of you ... even when your "jogging" along at 6:40.

Michael said...

Solid week!