Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Vacation

My wife is en route to the airport for a long weekend of "scrap-camp". Yes, it is what it sounds like: a camp for scrapbookers. I am not making any of this up.

Keeping the kids fed, watered and entertained will be the first priority until Sunday night, though as I've said before I'll have some great help as Kiera's mom will be pitching in while I'm at work during two of the days and also while I'm running in the morning. Still, it should be interesting. Kids can eat jello for lunch and dinner, correct?

As far as the running goes, I felt a bit beat towards the end of my 12 easy miles today. I blame this on three beers and 5 hours of sleep due in part to attending a hearty send off party for my pal Dan, who will also be attending scrap-camp. Actually he's off to Grandma's marathon to go for an Olympic qualifier, which is remarkable. This is his first attempt at the distance and I wish him all the best.

While I won't be getting in any doubles this week, I'm hoping to keep my daily totals a bit above 10 miles in an effort to get used to a bit more volume before the specific marathon training starts. Today wasn't unpleasant at all, and it was nice to ignore the watch until the end and just pad along at a comfortable pace. The fatigue at the end is actually good for the psyche, as I can tell the legs are getting some stimulus from staying out a bit longer.

Time for a quick nap while Finn is down and Haiden is still at school.

Training: 12 miles, 1:23:11, 6:56 pace

4 comments:

brian said...

Jello is fine, as long as long as you get the extra nutritious kind with the stuff floating around inside.

Greg said...

Sure. Blame the fatigue on the running. I blame it on the Cadillac. Or the Reformer.

Anonymous said...

Why do you always talk about how many brewskis you drink??

Mike said...

Mmmmmm, jello and beer. Now that sounds good. Anonymous, I use this blog as a training journal/log for both myself and the coach, so if I do something outside of running that I think could have an effect on my training/recovery I like to mention it. If I just say I'm tired for three days straight the coach could get the impression that I'm overtrained, when in reality I might have drank three beers one night, been up with one of our kids for one night, or moved 20 wheelbarrows of rock during a day off. Since I don't usually drink much (three beers a week or so) I think it can have an effect on the training.