Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Off to Reno

I catch a flight later this afternoon for Reno, Nevada, where I'll be spending the next eight days while working at an art auction. I've been doing this for a few years now, and I've managed to make the most of the situation. There are some decent running routes along the Truckee River, I've found free internet access at a bagel-muffin-coffee place, and I arrange for borrowing or renting a bike to get around all week instead of renting a car. The work days are long, but without the family I find myself with much more free time and more hours to sleep. The blogging might get a bit spotty depending on my schedule, but since I have several easy days planned there won't be too much excitement to report. I do get dreadfully homesick on these trips, though it is nice to see some movies and get some reading done for a change.

Today was the second day of this week's back to back workouts, and I was set for 10 miles steady followed by 5 miles at 6:08-6:12. The legs were a little tired, and after one easy mile to start I settled in at 6:47 pace for the 10 miles while trying to dodge the large swarms of bugs that have taken over our zip code. When it came time for the 5 mile effort I was optimistic, and when the first mile went by in 6:04 I figured I would be in good shape. I didn't have individual splits, but I finished the 5 miles at a cumulative 6:08 pace, which is what I was hoping for. The breathing was under control throughout, and while the legs started to fatigue at 3.5 miles, I never had any thoughts that I would bail on the effort. This time the heart rate was 148 immediately afterwards, which seemed a bit more appropriate.

Lots of packing to do and our daughter is home sick from school, so that's it for now. Hope everyone had a good run.

Training: 17 miles, 1:53:00, 6:39 pace, w/ 10 miles at 6:47 pace followed by 5 miles at 6:08 pace

3 comments:

Wayne said...

Awesome Mike! Seems like training is going very well for you. Have fun with your trip.

Tom said...

Just found your blog site and enjoy reading it. Wow, you've got some speed. Great reading about your training. I post with another running friend, Amy, and we’ll look forward to reading more of your site, learning from you--we're slow--and following your progress. Keep up the awesome running and posting! Tom

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Dusty said...

Hope your trip is going well. I'm sure you are still packing on the miles. :)