Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's What's Behind Me That Hurts

I bent down to put the recycling buckets near the curb before heading out to run and really noticed how stiff and sore my glutes were. At the time I wasn't sure if it was the strides or the uphill running yesterday that was causing the discomfort, and as it turns out it was neither. Apparently, running downhill causes me more grief than going up, for as soon as I started rolling down the big hill on Dog-Poop Trail I could feel the soreness kick in when I started running more upright and landing stronger on my heels. This is running like I'm sitting in a bucket, and it seems unavoidable when I'm gingerly treading down steep inclines. I'll take going up over going down any day.

I ended up covering 12 miles at a very relaxed pace, and aside from the soreness already mentioned things felt good. I did concentrate on keeping the effort as slow as was comfortable, as today is my one day respite between yesterday's hills and the next two days of back to back workouts. With this in mind I'm skipping the evening shop run again tonight, even though it's been awhile since I've seen the gang.

Training: 12 miles, 1:23:45, 6:59 pace

No comments: