Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Learning Week

I took yesterday off, and ran an easy 12 this morning with a slightly tender achilles. I think it had more to do with some tightness in my calf, which seemed to finally loosen once I stopped (knock on wood). The zero on Saturday and two shortened runs made for a low mileage week, but I was at marathon pace or faster for over 20 miles.

Mo: 8 miles moderate on Saguaro Loop, 3 miles MP
Tu: 13 miles w/3x2 miles around 5:42 pace, +1 mile at 5:40 pace
We: 10 easy
We: 6.2 easy (100+ degrees)
Th: 9 miles, w/6 at 5:56 pace or so
Fr: 16 miles, w/10 moderate, 5.5 at 6 minute pace
Sa: 0
Su: 12 easy
Total: 73 miles in 7 sessions

As I mentioned before, I think my downfall was running too hard on Monday, which was supposed to be an easy day, and squeezing in a second run on Wednesday. I'm hoping I learned my lesson, and I also hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Stay tuned for Ask the Mystery Coach Monday tomorrow.

Training: 12 miles, 1:23:10, 6:54 pace. Easy, but right achilles a bit tender.
Miles for the week: 73 in 7 sessions

5 comments:

Dusty said...

Good job listening to your body and sacrificing one day and shortening a couple workouts then continuing to push and needing a longer recover.

I hope your body stays healthy for you this week!!

jpete said...

I know exactly how your feeling and thanks for making the comment on my blog about the HRM, I did what you said.

Keith Granger said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a a couple of weeks and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it - lots of good information and entertaining as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

ronin said...

I don't wan't to sound as a smart ass, but your regular runs and 'easy' runs are way too fast for your ability of 16 flat 5ker and sub 2:40 marathoner. Your best aerobic pace is around 7:20-7:00/mile and recovery pace should be around 8min+/mile. Your regular runs are sometimes faster than mine (sub 14min 5k and sub 2:18 marathon PRs). No wonder that your are so often tired. Try to force yourself to slow down by at least a minute/mile on your easy runs and by 30s+/mile on regular runs. If you are feeling very fresh, hammer the last half of 1-2 runs/week, not every day.
Otherwise, I enjoy reading your blog immensly. Keep up the good work.

Mike said...

Thanks for the kind comments. Ronin, I appreciate the advice. You certainly have enough experience to know what you're talking about, and hopefully as the efforts increase for me you'll see a correlation marked by slower easy runs. It's nice to hear from you again and I hope you are well.