Sunday, August 12, 2007

Like the Old Days

Check back tomorrow for the announcement of an exciting new weekly feature on the "Running With Lydiard" blog

It was back to the hill early this morning to finish off my first week of hill training. This time I went through the same routine that seems to work for me. In short, I do four circuits of the following:
3 minutes of steep hill running (bounding when I can)
1.5 minutes or so of steady running with good form to the top of the hill
Run gently down the hill (my aching glutes)
3x100 slightly downhill strides/accelerations on the road perpendicular to the hill, reaching full speed for the final 25 meters of #2 and #3.

80% humidity this morning left me drenched, and by the end of the workout I felt like I had done an hour of light weight lifting with my legs, which I guess is about right as each circuit takes 12-13 minutes.

Yesterday I ran 10 miles easy. I could definitely feel a bit of soreness from two days of faster paced running, so it was nice to take it easy.

Here's how the week went down:
Mo: Big Fat Zero
Tu: 12, 3x hill circuits
We: 12 easy
Th: 10, w/7 at 5:53 pace
Fr: 19 miles, w/10 at 6:35 and 7 at 6:03 pace
Sa: 10 easy and slow
Su: 10.5, 4x hill circuits
Total: 73.5 miles in 6 sessions

With the tougher back to back runs and the addition of two hill workouts (not to mention the zero day), I can't be too disappointed with the low total. Or at least I won't admit it here.

Training: Today, 10.5 miles, 1:12:50, 8:11 pace, w/4 hill circuits and 12x100 strides/accelerations
Yesterday, 10 miles, 1:13:47, 7:23 pace

3 comments:

runner said...

another good workout as usual.

Chris Field said...

Hey Mike-

What percent of max HR do you average for a 5K race?

Mike said...

Thanks Runner. Actually I wish I had felt better during the first 4 miles on the way to the hill. Judging by the 7:20 pace I think I was definitely still feeling the back to back pace days.

Chris, I honestly have no idea, as I've only worn a monitor for a few heart rate evaluation runs. I could probably stand to do a max HR test one of these days. I bet if I wear a monitor during some of the hill sprints I'm likely to do later on I'll get a good idea of it. I'm not sure I could wear a monitor for a 5K, but if my wits were about me I could try and get a HR reading immediately afterwards.