Thursday, September 06, 2007

Change of Plans

Instead of a second run yesterday, I spent the evening watching television and eating Chinese food alone with my feet up. Since Kiera had planned on me being gone, she had taken both the kids to play and eat with some friends across town, leaving me an empty and quiet house.

Originally I was going to use the rain as an excuse to not put in a run, but a call to the shop while I was still at work revealed that the weather was fine there (4 miles away). Still, as I drove down into town to meet the others for the run something made me change my mind and head home. Once home, the rain was letting up and it was actually fairly cool outside. It was a perfect opportunity to get in a few miles by myself, but I didn't. Maybe it was the fear of putting in two doubles in a row during the two days after a stressful race, or maybe it was just laziness. Something in my gut just told me it was a fine evening to just lay low, and that's just what I did.

This morning I got off to a late start after getting a bit more sleep than usual. Everything was still wet from the rain the evening before, and the air was a cool 72 degrees (heaven in Tucson during September). I put in 13 mellow and uneventful miles under thick clouds, and felt great doing it.

Training: 13 miles, 1:30:51, 6:59 pace (last mile at 6:25 pace)

6 comments:

Abadabajev said...

I'd like to see your best mile, best 800, best quarter, best 13k (you just raced), and your longest run in your personal bests section if possible. I see more and more runs @ >7:00 pace. I must say, I'm impressed.

Chinese food? mmmmmmmm

Mike said...

Hmmm, I could add the 13K, but I'd get tired of people asking why it's slower than my 1/2 marathon pace (and hopefully my marathon pace soon). Maybe if I can find a flat 13K somewhere.

As for the mile, I honestly don't remember. I'm thinking 4:51 or 4:54 back in high school. Anything shorter I have no clue! Maybe when I do some shorter races this spring I'll figure those out.

Glad you like my Abadabajev-Easy, as Eric might say. These days I definitely need it.

Eric said...

Every day, you're coming around a bit more, Mike. There's no shame in recovery. There is an 'overy', though.

I have done two Abdabajev runs in a row to get ready for Saturday's half. Pressure's on, Ivan! Let's see if your system works! haha

Abadabajev said...

No pressure and not my system. This all comes from the man himself-Lydiard. 2 back to back extremely easy runs before race day Eric.


Alright alright alright, I feel the pressure.

Bruce said...

Well done on the course PR last week, even if it wasn't the placing you were looking for.

Joseph P. Wood said...

"No pressure and not my system. This all comes from the man himself-Lydiard. 2 back to back extremely easy runs before race day Eric."

Abadabajev,

You mean like 45:00 jog two days out, and 30:00 before the race?? I ran my best race ever doing this (thanks to you, Ivan).

Mike,

You work your ass off man; a down day (or two) is very important. I know; I hadn't taken enough of them recently, until forced...

Tuscaloosarunner