Thursday, September 13, 2007

Feeling Old

After joining the Running Shop gang for an easy 10K last evening, I tagged along to hear about a possible team some of the local runners are putting together to run the USATF National Club Cross Country Championships in West Chester, Ohio on December 8. Our club is planning on fielding at least one competitive team of eight runners, and this meeting included several of the runners who will probably make the final cut.

I was pretty excited by the idea, as the thought of taking a trip with a group of runners to a race half-way across the country to possibly run in mud and snow while competing against other national clubs sounded like a ton of fun.

For some reason I started thinking about how this reminded me of when the band I was in planned our two tours across the country. Many of the runners at the meeting were in their mid-20's, which was my age when the band was most active. Making the plan is almost as fun as putting it into practice.

Unfortunately, as I kept listening to the plan, reality started to set in. Flights, rental cars, lodging, and getting time off from work during the busy season all came to mind, not to mention that most of the workouts the guys would want to do would be done in the evenings and well across town from me. This is where I started feeling a bit too old for the gang I was with. While I make an occasional exception for the Wednesday night social run, evenings are for dinner with the family and goofing off with the kids.

Regrettably, I'll have to sit this one out. The same thing usually happens with other running road trips, 24 hour relay races and the like. While my job is fairly relaxed during the summer, it gets much busier during the fall and winter. As such, it's next to impossible for me to not work on a Saturday. The exceptions are the few weekends a year where I run a marathon, and those days are generally cleared months in advance.

While it stinks to not be able to take part in the race, I have to remember to take the bad with the good. While I'm in the pool at the recreation center at 3pm on a Monday, watching our daughter do mermaid jumps off the deck, most of the runners at that table are either at work or school.

And who really wants to run in the mud anyway?

Training: Today, 12 miles, 1:26:00, 7:10 pace
Yesterday pm., 6.2 mile in 43:20 or so.

5 comments:

Marc said...

As we make our way through this world its hard sometimes not to look in the rear view mirror with a sense of longing.

You are absolutely right - think of the joy and love and fun you have with your family, something those 20 somethings are yet to experience.

When Colin was born, a friend of mine asked,"Aren't you going to miss hiking and camping?" (I was an avid hiker and camper) My response was "No, I am rather looking forward to the days when I can enjoy those activities with him." Those days are now upon us and they are the most precious of days.

Some day you'll be running through the mud with your daughter.

Amanda said...

You were in a bad, that is so cool, it makes you sound younger to me already!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Funny how adulthood catches up with you when you aren't looking. You are very right, though, that dinner time and playing with the kids are the most important things. Before we know it, they will be grown up and that opportunity will be gone forever...races are always out there. Keep up the good work.

BTW, running in the mud is pretty cool...

Evan Roberts said...

Not to be an ass, but you are missing out on something by running in the mud. Remember what Arthur said about Snell running cross country!

Can you train for the mud in Tucson?!

crowther said...

Why run in the mud?

To feel young again!