Saturday, September 08, 2007

Some Good Numbers

While it's only the third inning as far as the weekend's back to back workouts go, I'm happy with some of the data from today's 7 mile effort. I've been focusing on staying close to 5:57 pace on these for a few weeks, but for today the coach encouraged me to feel out some faster paces and to try to work down to 5:54 or so if things felt good. After two easy miles, here's how it went:
5:55, 5:55, 5:53, 5:52, 5:51, 5:57, 5:51. While the first few miles found me feeling a little stale, once I was warmed up and well into the workout I started to relax and enjoy the effort. I felt like I was comfortable enough to make small pace adjustments, which is hopefully a good sign. Perhaps the best indicator today was a heart rate of 152 immediately after the workout. Last week I was only able to manage an average pace of 5:56 for 7 miles at an average heart rate of 162. While the weather was certainly better today, I'm guessing the lower heart rate and faster paces have more to do with me being rested than anything.

Enjoy the weekend, and head over to Eric's blog and tell him you want to hear about his half marathon today.

Training: 10 miles, 1:02:56, 6:17 pace, w/7 mile effort in 5:55, 5:55, 5:53, 5:52, 5:51, 5:57, 5:51, 152HR afterwards

5 comments:

Abadabajev said...

Looks like Eric came in 1st

Mike said...

Abadabajev, I didn't want to be the spoiler! I checked the results this morning and was happy and relieved.

Amanda said...

I tried out your back to back training yesterday and today (while not nearly in the miles you do) and it was a pretty good training! It's cool to push through the fatigue and realize you really can do more than you think.

eric said...

This is a great result, Mike! And after only a few days of getting some solid recovery runs. Good, good, good.

Dusty said...

Nice job! Looks like you are nice and relaxed with that pace!