Friday, October 05, 2007

#4451

Getting stuck in the second wave is a drag (long story involving a fax-send error), but I like my number. 51 is always a good omen, though it's traced back to my cycling days. Aside from bib #1, #51 has won the Tour de France the most times.

Before I go on, I'd like to wish good luck to Greg, Thomas, and everyone else racing this weekend.

Today I ran 5 miles with two sets of strides followed by three 800's at race pace with an 800 jog in-between. The track is the one place where marathon pace always feels slow and easy, so it's nice to wait until the last week for this type of run. All three felt very good (2:45, 2:56, 2:54), and I ran the mile back home as slowly as I could. The work is done.

I can honestly say that over the past 20 weeks of training for Twin Cities I've never enjoyed running more. I'd like to give credit to Mystery Coach for making this possible, and for helping me realize that it's possible to train hard without having an antagonistic relationship with my running. So many runners (and running blogs) seem to refer to their training almost as if it's a prison sentence, and I think during my first two attempts at following Arthur Lydiard's training I fell into that camp. When I look back to the disappointment following my rough time at the Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego last June, it was anchored by a feeling that all the pressure I had put on myself and all the training I had suffered through was for nothing because of the bad result.

I can tell you right now that whatever happens at Twin Cities, I'll come home with my head held high. I know I will run with courage and with joy, as the journey over the past few months really has been its own reward. Each lesson the coach has tried to pass on to me has been accompanied by a funny story or interesting experience, by someone who really has seen it all before and knows how to put training in perspective. While the training load has been heavier than before, I can count fewer than a handful of runs over the past 5 months that have found me disappointed or distracted afterwards. Most often, my running is something I enjoy and look forward to. A great race, or even a poor one won't change this. However, the best way I feel I can turn Sunday into the former is to keep the same perspective during the race that I've found during the training. I'll do my best.

Special thanks to Kiera, Haiden and Finn for their love, support...and tolerance.

P.S. Since I won't have a computer with me, any spoilers who find results and want to post them have my blessing to do so. Thanks Eric.

Training: 5 miles, w/2x100 strides/accelerations, 300 jog, then 3x800 (800 jog) at marathon pace

17 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Good luck in the race, Mike. You certainly have done some great training and I'm sure it is going to pay off. It's great to hear that it was fun for you as well.

Eric said...

Consider it done, my good man! haha

Have a great race!

Greg said...

Thanks Mike. Best of luck to you as well...not that you need it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do on Sunday.

ian said...

Mike, Im out in Boulder but I stopped by the public library to use the computer so I could wish you good luck. While Im here, let me say I will try and send you all the extra red blood cells my body is currently generating at altitude.

salkowski said...

I was hoping to ask Mystery Coach how a homeless-guy beard might affect a marathon time, but I guess I'll just leave it for you to find out ... Good luck, bro.

Thomas said...

"I know I will run with courage and with joy, as the journey over the past few months really has been its own reward."

Wise words, Mike.

Good Luck to you, too!

brian said...

Good luck Mike!

runmad said...

Don't let Nobby bend your ear too much the night before the race... he LOVES to talk running!

Jim said...

Good luck in the race. It has been fun to follow your progress and I am sure that it will lead to a great result!

Dallen said...

Good luck this weekend.

Phil said...

Best of luck Mike ... you'll do great!

Eric said...

*SPOILER*








2:51 and change. Have to wait for the race report. This is a bummer. Sorry, Mike.

Patrick said...

I can attest to the heat and humidity out there today. It must have been a death march from the first step. I'm sure Mike was ready for the heat, but it felt pretty thick out there.

Tommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommy said...

mike, sorry for your 2:48 but next time you will do it. I try for three years to beat my 2:39...don`t worry too much and have a nice bottle of red wine :-)

Abadabajev said...

It appears heat and humidity has played a major role today. On another note, take a look at chicago. Major heat/humidity warning;

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/CMS400Min/Chicago_Marathon/press_center/index.aspx?id=3043

Dallen said...

Bummer. If your weather was anything like ours, that is still a respectable time.

I realy would have like to have seen what you could have done under better conditions.