Wednesday, October 03, 2007

No Reservations

I took the day off from running and took the kids to breakfast and the park this morning instead. It felt strange to skip, but it was nice to get some extra time with the kids before heading out of town on Friday.

I'm quite excited about getting to stay with Nobby Hashizume and his family for the marathon this weekend. Nobby is one of the founders of the Lydiard Foundation, and his work to preserve and promote Arthur Lydiard's vision is appreciated by me and countless others in the running community. The first time I corresponded with Nobby was back in the summer of 2005, when he kindly emailed along a diagram of Arthur Lydiard's shoe lacing technique after I commented about my ignorance of it on an old Letsrun.com thread. When I started this blog he would email me from time to time with comments and suggestions, and since then he has shared so much great training and running advice with me. We don't correspond as much as we used to, as both of us are busy, so I was surprised and delighted to get an email from him offering up a home-stay for the weekend.

I have a little more to write about regarding expectations and feelings about the race, but I'll have to save it for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Tommy said...

Good Luck for the race. I followed your Blog for a while and I am sure you are very well prepared. I try to improve my pb for three years now (2:39:32) but missed it a couple of times and never run again sub 2:40 since 2003. Hope you will do it! Again all the best. Tommy (Berlin, Germany)

Thomas said...

Name dropping now, are we?

Staying with Nobby, cool stuff. Just make sure you won't stay up all night talking about Arthur before the marathon.

Chad said...

You know I was just thinking during this morning's run, "I wonder if Mike will be staying with Nobby." That's cool.

Should I be looking for a bearded man on Sunday?