Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Running Through the Gears

I was honestly surprised by today's planned workout, which included a 30 minute rehearsal of the marathon, 15 minutes easy, then 3x1000 starting every 5 minutes. On paper it looked tough with the marathon later this week, but I knew I could always back out if it seemed to be taking too much out of me.

To simulate the first 30 minutes of the marathon, I was to go into the effort pretty much straightaway without much for warm-up, and slowly work down from a first mile around 6:10 or so to 5:52 pace by the end. After running by feel for the first 1/2 mile or so I noticed I was right at 6:08 pace, which didn't feel too difficult. I ended up running the effort at 6:06, 6:01, 5:57, 5:51, 5:53. The fourth mile found me starting to feel good, which wass probably what Mystery Coach had in mind by asking me to ease into marathon pace over the course of 30 minutes.

Over the course of two easy miles I made my way up to the junior high to run the 1000's, thinking all the while that I could easily pull the plug and jog home if things started to go south on the track. I figured I would try to run the three repeats around 3:18 or so, which is just shy of 79 seconds per 400 (and about my average for the 8x1000 last week). I laughed to myself after coming through the first 200 at 36 seconds, which was way too fast. I reigned it in a bit but still ended up at 3:13 for the first repeat. I made sure to ease off for the next two, hitting 3:18 and 3:19 without having to dig in.

The one mile jog home found me feeling good. It was nice to run through all the gears, and the Coach's draconian rule of no more than 10 miles total over the next three days seemed easier to swallow with a workout in the legs.

Special thanks to the coach for the post yesterday, please keep those questions coming.

Training: Today, 10.5 miles, 1:05:20, 6:15 pace w/5 mile effort in 6:06, 6:01, 5:57, 5:51, 5:53, 15 minutes easy, then 3x1000 (1:40 rest) in 3:13, 3:18, 3:19
Yesterday, 6 miles, 43:03, 7:13 pace

11 comments:

Thomas said...

That's very similar to the taper workout Eric did 4 days before his marathon, and it certainly didn't do him any harm!

Mike said...

Yeah, I think I remember Eric. Didn't he used to have a blog he updated?

ian said...

That's a great workout and everything, but shouldn't you be starting to post hourly reports about race day weather forecasts by now? It's like you know nothing about being a marathoner.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Sounds like your coach has the workouts dialed in on your ability perfectly. Do you have a goal time for this weekend's marathon?

Eric said...

Oh, back in the day, I would update five or six times a week...

Nice workout, Mike. This is indeed the signature Mystery Coach taper workout, and it has worked well for me every time I've used it.

Looking forward to the hourly weather reports...haha!

Mike said...

Ian, you have a good point about the weather. Can one ever blog about it enough. Let me work on getting the weather widget into the sidebar next to my glamour-shot.

Chad, I'll probably write a bit about goals and expectations tomorrow, but it would really be nice to run 2:35 or under.

Eric, didn't you win a race or something last weekend? Give the good people what they want man!

Ryan said...

Hello Mike,

Just wanted to drop a note to say that I have enjoyed following your training through your blog...and to wish you the best in Minnesota this weekend. Judging by your training, you should do great.

Ryan

Michael said...

All the best this weekend, and here's to you having a solid race (clink).

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I'm surprised to see a workout like this showing up in the last week of a marathon taper. What's the thinking behind it?

Paul said...

Mike,
You are a machine! Let's see 2:33.
Good Luck,
Paul

Love2Run said...

Good luck Mike, although luck has nothing to do with it. You've done the work in spades and now it's time for the reward. Have a great race!