Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Where it Began

When I started this blog a little over two years ago, I was about 9 weeks into my first conditioning phase using Arthur Lydiard's training. Our son was about three months old and our daughter was about to turn 3. The legs were wobbling a bit under the stress of my first attempt at higher mileage, and sleep was at a minimum. Still, through the haze there was a concrete goal I had my sights set on: Break 2:40 at the Phoenix Rock and Roll Marathon in early January. This required chopping about 8 minutes from my current PR, but 2:40 was just such a nice, even number. If any of you were reading back then, you might remember the report. Thinking back on it reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, where Harrison Ford watches as the bad guy reaches into his chest, grabs his heart, and starts to pull it from his body. This was 2:39 slipping away between mile 21 and 25. In short, I have a history with this course, and I'm going back January 13 to do it again.

On the way there I'll run a Cross-Country 5K on November 22, the Tucson Half-Marathon on December 2, and perhaps a 10 mile race this Sunday if I can get Mystery Coach and Kiera on board while ducking my doctor.

As for the training, the zero train stopped after 4 days. An easy and tentative 5 yesterday gave way to a moderate 7 today. I still feel on the mend, but it's nice to be out in the fresh air again. I'll probably wait until the morning of to decide on the 10 miler, as it seems everyone in Tucson is in fantastic shape at the moment. This means the race will be a very fast gut-buster.

Training: Today, 7 miles, 44:54, 6:27 pace
Yesterday, 5 miles, 36:46, 7:23 pace

16 comments:

Mystery Coach said...

An important non-training tip:

Terms like this don't help your case with the Coach and the Wife (ha ha)

"This means the race will be a very fast gut-buster."

Michael said...

Nice!

runmad said...

Did I miss something, or did Mike not go into detail about his recent surgery?

What exactly was it, Mike?

the wife said...

Considering that I tend to have so little sympathy to begin with, your decision whether or not to run the race this weekend will have a grave impact on the sympathies of the future...in case you were wondering.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike hows those Asics stratus working out for ya?

Mike said...

Did I write "gut-buster"? I meant "hum-dinger".

Runmad, I didn't even want to mention the surgery, but if I didn't folks might wonder why all the zeros appeared. I prefer to keep it under my hat, but suffice it to say it wasn't a big deal and the recovery is going well.

Looks like the next surgery might be for removing Kiera's boot from my behind.

Anonymous, I can't say enough good things about the Stratus. Best $80 shoe I've found. It's the first neutral shoe I've been able to wear, and the heel height matches up with what I race in. The feet feel less sloppy, and I can't even put the Brooks Adrenalines on without feeling like I'm in high heels.

Eric said...

Ugh. Tell me again why I keep reading your blog...oh, that's right...I'm hoping someday you'll make a rational decision in your own best interest.

10 mile race = bad idea.

I like the marathon plan, though.

Mike said...

Eric, my guess is it's more like rubbernecking at the scene of an accident. While you know you shouldn't watch, you simply cannot turn away.

Now when did Mystery Coach get that cool avatar?

Mystery Coach said...

Mike, You can thank my 14 year old son for designing and drawing the avatar. He has far more talent at marketing and drawing than I do.

Mark said...

skip the ten miler--been there before haven't you? I know I have...

Abadabajev said...

Take October off. This would be 3 weeks off. Then start your rock and roll marathon cycle in Early November giving you approx. a 10 week cycle.

I believe Kiera should have more say in your training regimen.

I must mirror Eric's comment. 10 miler race = bad idea. I really don't know what it will prove except slow down your recovery. Recovery? what recovery?

Thomas said...

Use some common sense on the 10 mile race, as the doctor himself ordered!

Love2Run said...

Glad to see your recoveries are going well. And yes, stay home this weekend.

Mike said...

Come on people, where's your sense of adventure? It's not like I had a hip replaced.

Greg said...

"It's not like I had a hip replaced."

If that's the case, run the race.

It just seemed like you needed some support.

Mike said...

Thanks Greg, I needed that.

Wait a minute; The only person supporting me running the race this weekend is the guy running two marathons in one calendar month? Hmmmmm.