Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cut the Power

As I sit at the kids' small green plastic table, affixing metatarsal pads to the insoles of new running shoes with rubber cement and duct tape it begins sinking in. While waiting to take clothes out of the dryer in order to match up running socks from most to least-worn I think about it some more. Regardless of recent racing results, this running thing is still way more than a hobby.

I was a bit tired this morning after two days in a row of doubles and steady miles (I ran 6 last evening with the guys), and when the first two miles of warm up dragged along around 7:40 pace it was clear I needed to add an additional easy mile to ramp the legs up for 7 miles of up-tempo running. Mystery Coach has dialed back the intensity of these early back to back runs, and today I was thankful for it as I hit the watch to begin after the third and final warm up mile. The goal was the same as last week: 7 miles at 6:20-6:25 pace.

6:23, 6:22, 6:16, 6:20, 6:22, 6:18, 6:16. All in all it felt close to last week's effort, save for when I stopped the watch afterwards. While last week I was able to ride the momentum of the workout home with a faster, effortless mile around 6:35 pace, this week found me slowing down about as quickly as I could afterwards. It felt like someone had immediately cut the power, and realizing this I just trudged it in around 7:20 pace and was happy to pull the shoes off afterwards. It wasn't a bonk, but rather a strange sensation of jumping immediately into full on recovery mode.

Michael asked the other day about where in the build would find me at peak mileage. Judging by Mystery Coach's schedule, it looks like I'll keep building this week and for two weeks after, which will be the week of the Tucson half marathon. Afterwards I'll take one slightly down week, followed by my peak mileage week beginning December 9.

Time to find those socks.

Training: 11 miles, 1:14:40, 6:47 pace, w/7 miles at 6:23, 6:22, 6:16, 6:20, 6:22, 6:18, 6:16
Yesterday pm., 6.2 miles around 7:30-7:40 pace

No comments: