Sunday, November 04, 2007

Doubles are for Singles

Dishes need to be washed, grass needs to be cut, tree limbs and brush need to be cleared, piles of paperwork need attention. On the plus side, I am caught up on laundry.

Try as I might, I just can't get a handle on running consistent doubles. After work is dinner, after dinner is kids and their bedtimes, and after that I just want a few minutes to play guitar, use the computer or watch a bit of TV. I applaud all you folks with families who can reliably muster the energy for two runs a day, and I hope to figure out a way to join you someday without becoming a walking zombie. Perhaps it just takes persistence.

For you singles out there who take your running seriously, my advice is to get those doubles in while you have the time available. As for me, this week was about making the most of one run a day. Here's how the week went down.

Mo: 10 easy (felt crappy)
Tu: 16 easy w/2x30 sec hill sprints, 6x100 accelerations, 300 jog
We: 15 easy
Th: 14 easy
Fr: 12 easy w/3x30 sec hill sprints, 8x100 accelerations, 300 jog
Sa: 22 miles (while slow, I can't quite type "easy" here)
Su: 13 miles on hilly trails, easy to moderate
Total: 102

I'm happy about the strides and the hill sprints, and it felt good to get a fairly long run in on Saturday. Next week will be more of the same but with a bit more structure, though probably no doubles again since Kiera will be out of town all week.

Hope you all have a good week.

Training: 12.75 miles, 1:30:00, 7:08 pace, hilly, windy trail run on Patrick's Loop in Saguaro National Monument.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Good mileage there! I haven't run a double in I don't know how long. My only window for running exists between 4:30am and 6am right now during the weekdays. Like you, night time is family time (but I do my chores between 3:30am and 4:30am - at night, I'm just too tired).

Glad to see you back in the high mileage training. I hope you get a lot of weeks of it.

Hubitron said...

Wow...102 in singles. That is extremely impressive. I've read your blog for a while now, Mike, although I haven't posted before.

I have the same issue with doubles these days. It just doesn't seem to work. Maybe with a noon run of 3-4 miles at work before lunch, just as a shakeout, it might be possible, but still very hard.

The hardest part is getting in enough rest, but with 100+ per week you're already deep in that zone. I only managed doubles while working in running with my commute.

That 16-15-14 triplet looks brutal.

crowther said...

Just a great title!

Thomas said...

If it's any consolation, I find running twice a day completely out of question, and for the same reasons as you.

by7 said...

100 Miles with 1 wife + 2 kids + work !! this is a real accomplishment ...
That would be equivale to 140 Miles for a single and basically same as a semi-Pro level !!!
But at what time do you go to sleep ???

Mike said...

Andrew, 3:30 is crazy-early for chores, but I guess that wood stove doesn't feed itself.

Hubitron, thanks for the comment. I wish I could leave my workplace at lunch for a run, but since the art gallery I work at only has two employees it's impossible to get away.

By7, my answer is "not early enough". If I'm smart I get to bed by 9, but usually it's around 9:30 or 10.