Sunday, November 11, 2007

Long, Long Week

Thank goodness the wife returns this afternoon after being gone all week. Kiera has the amazing ability to fly into a different time zone just before one or both of our kids take ill. This time it was our daughter Haiden who managed to catch a lovely disease called Henoch-Schönlein Purpura, which is some sort of autoimmune vasculitis. Her legs swelled up below the knees and were covered gruesome-looking purple splotches, and she suffered some painful bouts of arthritis that kept her from walking for short spells. She's certainly on the mend now, and I tried to keep the sickness quiet for as long as I could to keep the wife from worrying too much. I am worried about residual kidney damage, but we'll have some follow-up testing done to hopefully alleviate my fears. Kiera's mom has been a lifesaver this week, taking care of both kids so that I could continue working as the gallery I work for prepares for our biggest show of the year.

Nothing makes me feel as helpless as when one of our kids is sick. Carrying our five-year-old into the doctor's office because she was unable to walk the distance herself was terrible, and I'm so glad she's starting to feel better now.

As you can imagine, this has been a very difficult week on the mental side. I feel very lucky to have been able to run as much I have, and I have Kiera's mom to thank for it. Here's how the week went down:

Mo: 12 easy with Lucas
Mo: 5.25 easy and very slow
Tu: 14 w/4x30 second hill sprints, 1 mile at 5:55
We: 14 miles
We: 5 miles
Th: 12 miles
Fr: 14 miles, very hilly, 1x30 second hill sprint
Sa: 10 w/7 miles around 6:20 pace
Su: 22.25 miles
Total: 108.5 miles in 9 sessions

I skipped the accelerations/strides this week, mostly due to running later when the track is off limits. I also only did one day of hill sprints instead of two, but I blame that on freeing up Saturday for some faster running. The long run went well today, mostly because I had my friend Scott along for the first 15 to make the time pass quickly. The last 7 took a little willpower, and when the Garmin went on the fritz at 21 miles I took it as a sign to run it in for 22 instead of flogging myself any longer.

The past two weeks have really felt like Lydiard base training, and putting in some longer single runs has done wonders for my confidence. It's a long road, but I feel like I'm getting stronger again.

Training: 22.25 miles, 2:33:30, 6:53 pace

10 comments:

Thomas said...

My God, Mike, that sounds rather horrific! I'm glad to hear your daughter is on the mend, this isn't something I would wish anyone to go through!

And the fact that you managed to run a motherload of miles that week is impressive.

Eric said...

Glad to hear Haiden is getting better. I can't imagine (and don't want to) how one of my kids being too sick to walk would affect my ability to get through a day.

Very nice week on the running front. I am anxious to get back to those weeks myself.

Abadabajev said...

Please take care of Haiden. She is so precious. Wow 100mpw while your baby was sick.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

OMG!!! how scary about Haiden!

Love2Run said...

Ouch! Best wishes to poor Haiden. I'm glad you survived the week with work, sick kids and still running like mad. Don't know how you do it. Take care of yourself too!

Mike said...

Before I get too many people too worried about Haiden, she was able to bicycle up and down two cul-de-sacs on those discolored and arthritis-ridden legs, so she's coming back quickly. She really is a trooper, and I'm glad to have her happy again. I'll feel better after a few rounds of tests though.

ian said...

108 miles carrying a weight like that. Wow. I hope everything is okay, Mike.

Hubitron said...

I'm again in awe. When my son was sick shortly after being born, my running evaporated.

I hated being at the mercy of the medical system, despite the good they are trying to do. The helplessness that you mention is something I had a lot of trouble coming to terms with.

It's very good to hear she is recovering from what sounds like a pretty nasty illness.

Best wishes.

Phil said...

That's much more serious than anything my kids ever picked up. I certainly hope Haiden gets better very soon. I description of the disease was just horrific.

I was extremely impressed that you managed a 100+ mile week + work + taking care of your sick when your wife was out of town. Very impressive in deed.

Dusty said...

Holy cow!! I can't imagine how terrible that would be with Haiden. I was expecting you to say flu or something. Please keep us posted on her test results. That is really scary.

Sounds like you have a great mother-in-law. So great that she could watch the kids so you could run -- running has always been a good outlet for me to get out frustrations - and you have had pleanty to be stressed about.

Will keep her in my prayers.