Friday, December 28, 2007

Freak on the Track

When an older gentleman started his walk around the track in bulky sweats, a muffler, mittens and a furry hat I knew it was coming. Sure enough, he gestured to the idling police car in the parking lot nearby and said, "I think he's here to take you away for wearing shorts." "I still have gloves on" was all I could think to say.

We don't often see 27 degrees on the thermometer in Tucson, but that's what it read today as I pulled pants over the shorts, donned a long-sleeve over a short sleeve, and put on the hat and gloves. I had six miles at 6 minute pace planned as day one of my last back to back workout pair, and the infield of the track looked like a yard sale after I had systematically ditched all but the short sleeve, shorts and gloves after three miles of warm up. I guess my body just runs warm.

I didn't want to hassle with traffic after my late start, and since school is out for the holidays the track seemed like a good place for the run. I ran the first 1600 by feel, and when a 5:46 resulted I started concentrating on the watch. 5:57, 5:58, 5:57, 5:57 and 5:57 followed, which probably equates to close to 6 minute miles when you add the 10 meters. I felt very smooth until about 1800 to go, but I attribute this to smelling the barn and wanting to get back to the house.

Good day. Tomorrow's last long pace workout will tell the tale though.

Training: 10 miles, 1h4m, 6:21 pace, 6x1600 steady at 5:46, 5:57, 5:58, 5:57, 5:57, 5:57

No comments: