Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just the Facts

I had the choice of either 4x1 mile repeats or the now infamous 10x1000 on 5 minutes workout, and I chose the latter to hopefully kill the memories of a similar workout last week. This week I was shooting for 3:19's instead of last week's 3:21 target, and when I ran the first one by feel and managed 3:21 I figured I was possibly in trouble. The legs still felt pretty sluggish from the miles and workouts last week, and I found myself wishing I had taken an extra easy day before trying the workout. Still, when my 1:38 rest was up I was back at it, and the resulting 3:18 felt much better. Three reps at 3:17 followed, and with half of the workout in the bag I wondered if I'd make it past 8 as the legs still didn't feel smooth. Still, when 6, 7 and 8 all went by at the same 3:17 I had to stop wondering while I sucked it up for two more. I noticed the heart was still beating a little fast for number 9, but a 3:16 at the same effort showed I probably had the last rep in me after all. 3:17 followed, but the breathing on the last 600 of it showed I was definitely done.
Three slow miles back to the house followed, which brought the day's total to 12 miles.

This week the training does back off a little, which for me means skipping a double or two and making sure I go slow on the easy days. Last week was an all-time high for me mileage-wise, so I'm not too surprised to find the recovery a little slow this week.

Thanks to Mystery Coach for the post yesterday, I hope you all had time to read it. What I really need to focus on from the post can be summarized by Lydiard's words on not going overboard with the anaerobic training and undoing all the work that's already been done to bring up the speed and efficiency of the steady state.

Training: Today, 12 miles, 1h27m, w/10x100 on 5 minutes at 3:21, 3:18, 3:17, 3:17, 3:17, 3:17, 3:17, 3:17, 3:16, 3:17
Yesterday, 12 miles, 1h27m, 7:10 pace

2 comments:

Abadabajev said...

All this mileage and you managed to do 3:16 repeats. Very nice.

You know anything on Eric? Has he retired? Moved? New job? Is he sick?

Mike said...

Thanks Abadabajev. No, I haven't heard from Eric for awhile now. I imagine he's playing Ron Daws in deep North Dakota winter, running many miles with frosty eyebrows and praying for good footing.