Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Zero for Christmas

When I asked Mystery Coach about scheduling runs for this week he suggested I just put my feet up on Christmas. As the father of the two kids featured in the video one post down I knew that would be impossible, but I did take a zero for running on the day. Our family had a great holiday, and I hope all of you out there can say the same.

On Monday the coach gave me the option of 3-4x1 mile around 5:20, 8-10x1000 on 3:17 or a quicker 6-8x800 at 2:32. During the three miles of warm-up on the way to the track I couldn't decide, so I left it up to the legs to choose. I ran the first 400 as fast and relaxed as I could, and when I came through at 75 seconds I was on pace for the 800's so I just went with it. 2:29, 2:32, 2:30, 2:32, 2:31, 2:33 and 2:32 followed, all with easy 800 jogs in-between. The legs had a fair amount of snap for the first 4 or so, but it took some concentration to stay on pace for the second 400 of each. Mid-way through number 6 I figured I was done, but rode it out and jogged through the recovery just to see if I could give a 7th repeat a try. I jumped off the line and made it through about 500 before easing just a little as the legs really started to burn. Seven would have to do for the day. On the bright side, the two miles home felt much better than it has after the last two interval sessions, and I knew I would have a full day to recover without a run planned for Christmas.

This morning I slept until the kids woke me, and as a result found myself crunched a bit for time when I finally made it on the road at 7:40. The run found me feeling good and fairly rested, though I'm starting to think I need to stretch after interval sessions given the residual stiffness in the hips and quads. I could blame the stiffness on wearing shorts in 30 degree temps, but I don't think that really affects things too much after I'm warmed up. I made it through the rest of Volume Two and half of Volume Three of Legendary Hall & Oates (yes, this incredible duo need three full volumes to accurately chronicle their "hits"), but since I've started watching "Flight of the Conchords" on DVD I can no longer listen to Hall & Oates without laughing just a bit. The video below is from the pilot.



On a serious note, I was glad to see the pace drop naturally today after taking a day off. Spending the run speeding up and still feeling comfortable makes me think I'm slowly making my way back to the inside of the recovery curve.

Training: Today, 14 miles, 1h34m, 6:41 pace
Yesterday, 0
Monday, 12 miles, 1h28m, w/7x800 (800 recovery) in 2:29, 2:32, 2:30, 2:32, 2:31, 2:33, 2:32

4 comments:

PARIS HILTON said...

you know mike,am a bit worried about ERIC ! he's looking abit WHITE !

Marc said...

I just watched your video from the previous post...absolutely beautiful. Family is what it is all about.

Chris Field said...

Are you a two or three week taper guy?

Mike said...

Chris, it looks pretty much like two weeks this time, but I did peak on volume at 4 weeks out before backing off last week (120 down to 102) and a bit more this week (Christmas off).

I guess it's more accurate to say I'm tapering on volume from 4 weeks out and from intensity at 2 weeks.