Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sick Boy

Our son Finn just can't seem to catch a break this week. He's been running a fever for days, and while he's done throwing up it seems now that he's getting a few molars. As a result sleep has been sorely lacking this week, and I've never been more grateful to be recovering from a marathon rather than training for one. Here's how the week went down:

Mo: 0
Tu: 5
We: 6
Th: 0
Fr: 5
Sa: 8
Su: 8
Total: 32

Everything was pretty easy, with the exception of a few accelerations and a few quicker miles while breaking in some new racing flats. Next week is all about getting ready for a 10K on Sunday. Yes, it will be two weeks after the marathon, but unfortunately I don't write my club's race schedule. I don't expect a miracle, but I think if I can keep recovering I should still be able to be in the mix a bit.

Training: 1/20, 8 miles, 59m, 7:21 pace, lots of trails
1/19, 8 miles, 55m, 6:56 pace

5 comments:

Eric said...

Hope the Finn man is feeling better soon.

Here's something to get you through that 10K*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufQD5Y31ZA

*which I think is a bad idea.

Cheers.

Dusty said...

Good luck in the race! With your low mileage week (kudos on the recovery) you will probably surprise yourself, especially with the pressure off.
Good job Finn on holding off the illness until AFTER the marathon! Hope the little guy is feeling better soon!

Ron said...

LOOOOL, nice one eric!

heres one that gets me through the last few miles. Sometimes i even do the move around 5 minutes just to get hyped.

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-aH36JFXo

Mike B said...

Wow, someone else is in the same boat as us. We have a 5 month old that has RSV (respiratory virus), taking breathing treatments, and is teething. Nothing like getting up every 1.5-2 hours. I feel like he is a newborn. Up to this point, I had never been sleep deprived. The lack of sleep REALLY does just zap you. Consider it a cutback week of sorts - good luck!

Mike said...

Thanks for the comments. MikeB, you have my sympathies about the RSV and breathing treatments. I think the stress of worrying about a sick kid can be worse than the sleep deprivation.