Monday, March 03, 2008

Believe



The ankle has felt better and better with each passing day, but it was with some trepidation that I slipped on the flats for my last leg of the relay after seeing the conditions of the "road" I'd be on for 5.5 miles. It was pretty much washboard dirt and gravel interspersed with collapsed veined sections where water had eaten away the surface, which made for bad traction and plenty of opportunities for ankle snapping. Still, I knew I'd really have to roll over the second half of the course in order to finish with a good time, so I opted for the racing shoes.

Once I finally crested the sadistic peak in the middle of the profile, I threw all caution to the wind and started bombing the twisting downhill with abandon, skidding along whichever edge of the road gave me a better line through the next curve. After about a minute of this I knew whatever strain I'd had was long gone, and it was a great feeling to just let loose and fall through the hills.

_______________________________

The legs don't feel quite as trashed as I'd imagined they would, so I enjoyed 7 easy miles yesterday around 7:30 pace and 10 this morning at just under 7 minute pace.

8 comments:

running faster with the ALIEN LIZARD said...

EXCITING NEWS !!!!!
HI MIKE AND ALL ARTHUR LYDIARD FANS,
GREAT NEWS THE ARTHUR LYDIARD WEB SITE HAS FINALLY BEEN UPDATED!!!!!

running faster with the ALIEN LIZARD said...

opps; i ment to say:
THE ARTHUR LYDIARD FOUNDATION

Mike said...

Good news indeed. Looks like Nobby and Lorraine Moller have blogs up on The Lydiard Foundation site.

Now if you found that you can surely find the "caps lock" key, right?

Mike said...

Ooh, there's a forum now too. Cool.

Ewen said...

Thanks Mike - now we can go there, rather than here ;)

That last leg sounded like fun. Congrats on thrashing Google! You'll have to put Sasha in his place next year.

seebo said...

Nice that you're able to pinpoint the recovery with such precision. Good riddance.

Mike said...

Yeah, unfortunately I tempted fate by naming it. I rolled it again on a small boulder yesterday that somehow ended up on our sidewalk about 10 feet from my driveway. I took my eye off the ball and waved to my neighbor just before finishing the run and POW!!

It hurt like hell for 10 minutes, but the ligaments held and it feels fine now. I shared an icepack with our son Finn when I went inside, since he was just clocked in the head with a mandolin by his sister (accident, really).

mikee said...

i left you a comment around july in the summer 'cause i was so impressed by your running. your still amazingly fast.