Thursday, May 29, 2008

5/29/08

5/29/08
Training: 10-ish miles, 1h09m
Resting HR: 44
Sleep: 6h, 6/10
Legs: 6/10, hamstrings a bit sore
Post Run: 8/10, cruised the last mile faster, feeling good

5/28/08
Training: 6.2 miles or so, 42m
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 7/10, no real complaints
Post Run: 7/10, it's just getting hot for evening runs

----------------------
Trying out a new format here in an effort to transmit more data to Mystery Coach's secure location while keeping better track of how I'm feeling from day to day. Here's a bit of explanation, though it's probably unnecessary:

Training: Self-explanatory, just a bare-bones recap of the run with whatever data I've collected

Resting HR: Usually I go to the bathroom and head out to the couch and sit down to take this so I don't disturb the wife, so it's a bit higher than immediately after waking. Still, if I do it the same way I should be able to monitor any gradual changes (for better or worse) as the training progresses. If I don't take it, you won't see it (yesterday for instance).

Sleep: Hours followed by a ranking from 1 to 10 of how alert I feel upon waking. I was tired today after running last evening and probably not drinking enough afterwards.

Legs: Again a ranking of how the legs feel during the bulk of the run, again on a scale of 1 to 10

Post Run: An evaluation of how I feel during the first 30 minutes after the run. An 8-10 ranking is probably the "pleasantly tired" I'm looking for, and 5 or under probably means I'm pretty well stuffed.

Again, I'm pretty much just running easy for three weeks, and even taking a day off now and again. I'm trying for an hour or so each day with a two hour run once a week, and so far it's been going well.

5 comments:

Dusty said...

I really like how you have set this up. It is interesting to see what others are watching and the changes - make me more alert to how my runs/sleep/water intake, etc is impacting me.

Glad to see you back - I look forward to reading the rest of your log entries, but I better get out there and do my run or it will get dark on me. :)

Andrew said...

Yes, glad to see you back.

Poor mystery coach. Does he realize that we are slowly triangulating his position? We're now trying to determine if he travels via train or personal vehicle to work.

Scene: stairwell of office building (we know he takes the stairs)

"Hello Mystery Coach"

"How'd you find me?"

"Sorry. Classified. Just hand over the training manual."

Mike said...

Dusty, I'm hoping to do just what you mentioned by putting it all out there. Hopefully I'll find the patterns before the readers dog-pile on me.

...Hmmm, probably not.

Andrew, it's only a matter of time until all of our misinformation about Mystery Coach finally drives him over the edge and draws him out into the open. I've traced his ISP, but it refers to an offshore account in the Cayman Islands. We might need Mulder and Scully for this one.

Greg said...

My problem with your ranking system is that my post-run ranking would always be 9/10. If you took that same ranking about halfway through my runs, it would probably be 3-6/10.

I always feel great when I'm done.

Grellan said...

Great to see you posting again Mike.

The new format has certainly made me think of what I log for each run - sometimes the the less tangible information (quality of sleep, outside pressures etc) give a better picture than the usual pace, time, distance, HR, elevation data.