Friday, May 30, 2008

5/30/08

Training: 8-ish miles, 1h, slow
Sleep: 5h30m, 4/10 (need to work on this, house-guests don't help)
Legs: 6/10, sluggish altogether, 2 beers the night before during a playground committee meeting didn't help
Post Run: 6/10, Kind of glad to be done, bit of a head-ache and I never really found my groove

Greg made a good point about the new "post run" ranking in the new log. "My problem with your ranking system is that my post-run ranking would always be 9/10. If you took that same ranking about halfway through my runs, it would probably be 3-6/10."

Greg, I think if you're feeling great at the end of all your runs, you're probably training smart and not overdoing it. I like taking stock about 30 minutes afterwards, as that seems to be when I either feel energized from the run or I'm looking for 20 minutes to lay on the couch with my feet up. I'm trying to use this as a way to keep my mindful of Mystery Coach's Axiom Number Two: "How easily you recover from a workout is a better indication of your condition than the workout itself." I know these runs (and most runs) aren't workouts, but by paying attention to the "Legs" and "Post Run" categories, hopefully I can head trouble off at the pass.

My lack of patience is probably one of my greatest faults when it comes to training, but when I see how far some guys can go by showing patience and backing off at the right times it gives me hope.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Mike, I'm really glad to see that you're back in whatever capacity you can spare.

Speaking from experience, I was seriously over-trained the second year I did Ironman (it was also the year my parents decided on a divorce), I sympathize with you and know where you’re coming from. It’s a difficult tightrope to walk when you’re balancing an attempted PB in one hand with untested boundaries and possible fatigue in the other. I remember asking myself a couple years ago what I wanted from running, results vs. a life-style. Of course I wanted both, but in an effort to build longevity I sometimes think more is less, i.e., it’s occasionally better to go in under-trained and with fire in your eyes than any alternative.

Forgive me, I now think it’s the Paddywhack (IPA) talking...

mainers said...

Nice to have your blog back up and running Mike. My goal is a November marathon so I will be following your blog with interest! like the idea of the rating system!