Sunday, June 01, 2008

6/1/08

6/1/08
Training: 8-ish miles, 58m, piles and piles of hills
Resting HR: 44
Sleep: 6.5h, 6/10
Legs: 6/10, general fatigue from a longer run yesterday, dragged a little on the uphills
Post Run: 7/10

Mo: 8
Tu: 9
We: 6
Th: 10
Fr: 8
Sa: 17
Su: 8
Total: 66 in 7 sessions

All in all a decent down week, and if I can manage to lay off like this for seven more days the body will hopefully be receptive to the idea of starting a marathon build. Looking back through the log shows me that these three weeks (2 down, 1 to go) are probably the easiest I've taken things since I started trying to follow Lydiard's training back in the summer of 2005. It's been a bit of a blow to the ego to put bigger miles and workouts aside, but it's part of an effort by me to really focus on optimal training this cycle instead of always pushing for maximum training.

Feel free to remind me of this later on when you catch me slipping back into old habits.

7 comments:

James said...

Amen to this post! I like what I'm hearing. You are going to bust one at NYC!!!

Abadabajev said...

Resting H/R 44 very nice. Ahhhh those recovery weeks, you need those. Nice to see you back blogging. I went into a depression for awhile when I learned that you stopped blogging. I'm sobering up now and ready to read your thoughts.

Greg said...

"Looking back through the log shows me that these three weeks (2 down, 1 to go) are probably the easiest I've taken things since I started trying to follow Lydiard's training back in the summer of 2005."

I think that statement right there is the key. I think you should be excited to see what a little rest is going to do for you.

Mike said...

Thanks James, I apreciate it.

Abadabajev, when I stopped blogging I went into a depression too, so we have something in common there.

Greg, you are living proof that cycling off once in awhile works better than just pounding through year after year, so point taken.

Ewen said...

Is that optimal training during the build for NYC, or in the cycle before the build?

I'm just wondering if you see optimal training as meaning less emphasis on weekly/monthly mileage totals and more on the quality of certain sessions?

Mike said...

Good question Ewen. I was thinking about the "optimum versus maximum" idea for the whole program when I wrote that, and optimum for me is simply the right training ingredients in the right amounts at the right times. I think a good, hard look at the log is a fine place to start, and when I do that I see that steady, high mileage seems to bring me around quite well, but that I tend to overdo things when I enter the more specific phases of training (speed and threshold (or maximum steady state). I need to work on running the paces Mystery Coach writes for these days comfortably rather than constantly trying to beat them, as running a handful of seconds faster per 1000 meter repeat or averaging 6:15 for an early marathon pace run when he writes 6:19 seems to slowly drain me.

I guess I'm saying that my training paces are probably tougher to optimize than my overall mileage.

I'll try to expand on this in a post, thanks again for the question.

Ewen said...

Thanks Mike. It sounds like there's a bit of an art to getting all the ingredients right for optimal training.

I often wonder whether to push for more volume during base training. Will an extra 10 or 20k a week pay off or push me over the edge.