Thursday, June 12, 2008

6/12/08



6/12/08
Training: 10 miles, 1h09m, 6:55 pace
Resting HR: 42
Sleep: 6.6h, 6/10 Getting tired again
Legs: 7/10

6/11/08
Training: am., 10 miles, 1h12m, 7:10 pace
Training: pm., 6.2 miles easy (96 degrees though so easy is relative)
Resting HR: 42
Sleep: 5.5h, 6/10 Need a bit more
Legs: 6/10

-------------------------------

I'm trying hard not to be like Roger in the panel above, though the ligaments and tendons are fighting me a little bit on plyometrics. I'm still feeling a bit sore behind the knees and up into the hamstrings from my first go-around with single-leg box jumps, even though the box was only two little step-aerobic blocks high. That's like jumping on and off a book of matches, so I'm a bit surprised.

This week is about getting back my mileage tolerance as the build begins, so I'm trying to work in three doubles on alternating days as well as keeping a two hour long run and a session or two at 12 miles or more. I figure the paces will be slow for a few weeks while I acclimate to both the heat and volume (78 degrees for the morning run yesterday). So far, so good.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Mike, I know this is difficult to change because you have to get up so early due to the morning heat, but I get the impression that you rarely get more than 6 hours of sleep.

I think this is not nearly enough.

Mike said...

Damn, the "new mail" alert from your comment just woke me up. I was having the nicest nap here at my desk.

You're right Thomas. With temps in the mid-70's by 5am I do need to keep getting up early, so getting to bed earlier is the only solution.

Ewen said...

Or have longer midday naps ;)

The 6/10s for sleep caught my eye too. If only we were able to copy elite athletes such as Paula, with 10+ hours of sleep per day... or Gabriela Szabo, who said at the Sydney Olympics she slept up to 16 hours per day!