Friday, June 27, 2008

6/27/08

6/27/08
Training: 16 miles, 1h49m, 6:50 pace
Sleep: 6.5h, 6/10 Did not want to get up early again
Legs: 7/10
Temperature: 70 degrees (Nice!)
First early wake up call since Sunday so I was dragging when I got out of bed. Legs and motivation wavered severely between miles 12 and 13, but instead of cutting it at 14 I swerved left and ran the last two planned miles.

6/26/08
Training: 9 miles, 1h03m, 6:59 pace
Legs: 6/10
Temperature: 68 and perfect
Last vacation run and I seemed to run out of steam a little during the second half.

6/25/08
Training: 12 miles, 1h20m, 6:47 pace
Legs: 7/10 (Surprising after trudging around Legoland the day before)
Quite hilly route but felt good by the end

--------------------------------------------------

Carlsbad, California is a paradise for runners with one small caveat: You must bring along a love for (or a tolerance of) hills. Lots and lots of hills. On a few occasions I passed mile markers for the Carlsbad marathon and thought about Phil, who for some reason picked this difficult terrain for his first marathon. Running up the coastline was a joy, and I couldn't help but notice how many grey-haired surfers I saw getting in and out of their cars parked alongside the beach. I told Kiera that by the time I turn 40 I want to learn to surf, which I imagine offers the same meditative qualities I dig about running without all the stress on the joints. I would hazard to guess that a shark biting down on my leg would offer some joint stress, but hopefully that's something I can avoid. I did get into the waves to do a bit of boogie-boarding, but keeping a five-year-old and a three-year-old from drowning themselves seemed to be more of a man to man defensive job than a zone, so after awhile I paddled in to help Kiera.

For any blogger-musician types (Crowther and his love for soft-rock comes to mind), Buffalo Brothers Guitars is by far and away the most amazing guitar store I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

Back in Tucson it seems that the monsoon season is upon us, which means a break from the heat at the expense of more humidity. The shoes were sopping wet today after ten miles or so, but the temperature was great so I can't complain.

No comments: