Sunday, June 29, 2008

6/29/08


While on vacation we broke down and bought a hybrid. This one's half jeep, half leopard
Photo by Kiera

6/29/08
Training: 19 miles, 2h16m, 7:12 pace
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 5/10
Temperature: 85 degrees by the end

Started the morning by running four miles by myself at 5:30 before heading back to the house to meet some friends who wanted to run at 6am. It was already 81 degrees with some humidity when I started, and it was clear after about a half mile that it would be a long day.

I had figured that stacking a 16 miler and yesterday's evaluation run before today's long run would make things a bit difficult, and the legs let me know they didn't approve of the schedule shift. The heat and dead legs made the decision to run it in with the gang as they finished their 15 miles was an easy one, so I called it at 19 miles. It felt a bit like Twin Cities for the last two miles, but it certainly could have been worse. I'm looking at starting these 20 milers at 4:30, as the sun is just too high and too hot at 8am now.

Here's how the week went down. I was in Carlsbad on vacation from Monday through Thursday-
Mo: 12 miles, 6:48 pace
Tu: 9 miles, 6:36 pace
We: 12 miles, 6:47 pace
Th: 9 miles, 6:59 pace
Fr: 16 miles, 6:50 pace
Sa: 12 miles w/4 miles at 6:02, 6:11, 6:15, 6:14
Su: 19 miles at 7:12 pace
Total: 89 miles in 7 sessions

A bit of a screwy week with no doubles and all the hard stuff at the end. The paces really came down this week compared to the last two, and I'm wondering whether the cooler temperatures on vacation contributed. I'll guarantee you tomorrow is slow.

1 comment:

Dusty said...

I would bet the cooler temps had a lot to do with it - they are so obvious (at least on my runs) when the temps go up.

Great new car - looks like it gets great gas mileage!