Saturday, July 12, 2008

7/12/08

7/12/08
10 miles, 1h03m, 6:20 pace
Sleep: 6.5h, 9/10
Legs: 9/10 Oh yeah
Temperature: 76 degrees, 85% humidity, Sloshy out there

Neither bugs, nor sopping wet shoes and clothes, nor late bedtime could slow me down today. In fact, even with the faster pace guidelines I still found myself ahead of schedule and staying there throughout the run, despite my efforts to slow down.

Mystery Coach knocked the time for the 10 miler to 64 minutes, which put me at 6:24 pace instead of the 6:36 pace I've gotten used to over the past five weeks. I worked a bit during the first uphill mile to get to get on schedule, but from that point on the body seemed to want to bring it down to 6:10-6:13 pace. I fought it as best I could, but even with adding some hills to the second half of the route and coasting the last mile I still arrived ahead of schedule. I'm thinking it might be time to break out the heart rate monitor for these runs too, as I find it's easier for me to back off in beats per minute than it is to purposefully slow the pace. With the paces getting a bit quicker and closer to my maximum steady state it might also be useful to see what the heart rate is doing during the latter portions of these runs.

I could definitely feel the effects that a bit of extra recovery had on the run today. I just hope that I feel the same way for tomorrow's long run. Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

It's good to see the effect of the easier days kicking in. It's nice to have fresh legs once in awhile isn't it?