Tuesday, July 15, 2008

7/15/08

7/15/08
10 miles, 1h6m, 6:40 pace
Sleep: 6.5h 7/10
Legs: 8/10
Temperature: 76 degrees, 75% humidity

pm., 5 miles on the treadmill around 7:40 pace

Mystery Coach had me down for 68 or 69 minutes for 10 miles, but I ended up going a bit faster after meeting up with a cyclist I knew for the second half of the run. It's been awhile since I've been "half-wheeled" (where a fellow cyclist feels a compulsion to keep his front wheel half a length in front of yours while riding side by side), but it happened today. Half-wheeling has the effect of gradually making the ride faster and faster as the fellow behind keeps drawing even, which in turn makes the half-wheeler speed up even more to keep his position. This is made more difficult when the guy getting half-wheeled (me) is running, and the guy ahead is wobbling his front wheel while trying to show me stock quotes on his iPhone to illustrate the points he's trying to make. I honestly don't think I could blame any motorist for targeting us while watching this carnival of events, but luckily no one tried.

The legs felt tired in the driveway before starting, but they got into the swing straight-away and felt light after about a mile.

2 comments:

Dusty said...

How come the moment I heard you saw a cyclist I thought, "yep, Mike could keep up with them". haha!

Mike said...

I don't know Dusty, maybe if he was pedaling with one leg!