Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/08

7/19/08
10 miles, 1h04m, 6:24 pace
Sleep: 6.5h, 6/10
Resting HR: 42
Legs: 7/10 Little fatigue at the end
Temperature: 80 degrees, 65% humidity

7/18/08
10 miles, 1h13m, 7:18 pace
Sleep: 7.5h, 8/10
Resting HR: 42
Legs: 7/10
Temperature: 80 degrees, 60% humidity

7/17/08
16 miles, 1h55m, 7:00 pace. Worst long run in memory
Sleep: 6.5h, 7/10
Legs: 0
Temperature: 84 degrees, 65% humidity

Not sure exactly what to attribute it to, but my planned 20 miler on Thursday found my body crying "Uncle" in a big way between mile 14 and 15. I was reduced to a slow jog, then a slower walk, then finally a full stop. The quads felt hollow and weak, and the hamstrings just stopped bringing the legs up behind me. I still had three miles of uphill and two flat miles to traverse, but I just could not force myself to run it all.

So I walked. I ran a bit, but I couldn't muster much better than 8 minute pace, so after about a half mile of jogging I'd go back to a walk. I even called from the customer service desk at the grocery store for a ride home once I'd run/walked a few miles and was a mile and a half from home. Initially the call was to let Kiera know I was all right after missing my arrival time, but I found myself asking for a ride as soon as I told her I was safe.

Some poor nutrition the two days prior plus an intensely hot and humid day are probably to blame, but I could have made it easier on myself and turned around after 8 miles of my out and back. This was when I started sensing trouble, but for some reason I went out the full 10 before turning around.

I emailed Mystery Coach in a panic, but of course he advised me to take it in stride. I think we've all run out of juice on a long run on occasion, though this was as bad as it's ever gotten for me.

Yesterday's easy 10 miles felt much better, and today's up-tempo run found me feeling pretty much like my old self. I vowed to not get ahead of my planned pace, so I backed off a bit during the second five miles of my 10 to make sure I stayed good to my word. The last mile found me feeling just a little pressure, but I think at that point I was just smelling the barn.

Tomorrow is a medium-long run with the gang, followed by a birthday breakfast courtesy of Kiera. Since I'm turning 37 maybe I'll finally change the "35" on my header.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

You've already changed it! Happy birthday for tomorrow Mike.

"Legs: 0"! I think we've all had a walk-home run at some time. Not much fun. I hope the coming week is better for you.

Thomas said...

Happy birthday, Mike! You're still younger than me.

You're often training at the edge, so it's no wonder that you're stepping over it from time to time.

Eric said...

Happy 37th, Mike!

Did you have a glycogen bonk, or was it something else? I've hit the wall at 14-17 miles several times over the past couple of years. It's not indicative of anything, other than a lack of fuel.

Greg said...

Happy birthday!

I turned 37 last month. I suggest denial -- just leave it at 35 and not tell anyone. Maybe our bodies won't notice either.

Love2Run said...

That's a tough way to end a long run with a call for help. I remember hitch-hiking home one time when I got lost in a strange area. You're pushing the limit and it could just be a little extra pre-run prep that you forgot. Happy B-day!

Michael said...

Happy Birthday Mike! I trust you enjoyed your birthday and the breakfast. All the best fo rthe next year.