Tuesday, July 08, 2008

7/8/08

7/8/08
Training: am., 12 miles, 1h22m, 6:54, w/4 mile evaluation at 150HR in 6:03, 6:14, 6:13, 6:12, :42 second recovery to 120
Resting HR: 41
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 7/10 Responded well to the workout but a bit stiff otherwise
Temperature: 78 degrees, 52% humidity (nice!)

Four miles of warm-up, then another 4 mile evaluation. Here's how it went down-
Mile 1: 6:03 (150HR)
Mile 2: 6:14 (151HR)
Mile 3: 6:13 (151HR)
Mile 4: 6:12 (150HR)
42 seconds to 120HR

I'm going to leave the evaluation of this to Mystery Coach in an effort to drag another post out of him. Mile 2 was a bit slower than last time, but I liked the even numbers for miles 2 through 4. I'm wondering a bit about the big gap between the first and second miles of each of my three evaluations, and thinking my warm-up might not be quite optimal. Typically I run three to four miles easy, finishing with one lap on the track to bring my heart rate to about 140BPM before starting the evaluation. Maybe some strides or accelerations would be better for getting the body ready, but perhaps staying consistent is more important as far as data collection goes.

6 comments:

Greg said...

When it says "42 seconds to 120HR," what are you doing while your heart rate is recovering? Standing, walking, or jogging?

Mike said...

...Sweating.
OK, sweating and standing. Once the HR gets down to 120 I start wiping the bugs off and jogging.

cpr said...

When I run these test I also have a much faster start -- similar to our values (I am metric though).

But you can still compare them -- I have found a steady relation between earlier and later kilometers in this tests.

Grellan said...

Very consistent pace over miles 2 to 4.

If you're starting evaluation mile 1 @ 140HR and all the others at 150HR it's bound to have a positive effect, no?

Mike said...

cpr and Grellan, I say you're both right. At this point I'd rather keep the warm-up the same for the sake of consistency. I do wonder about doing the trial for 5 miles to see if the HR keeps the equilibrium or starts to rise, but with the marathon-ish pace-type runs coming up in the future I'll have plenty of opportunities to measure HR for a longer distance.

Ewen said...

Mike, I'm using 5 miles. In my last evaluation, miles 2 and 3 were the same - 4 and 5 were 10 seconds slower. I'm wondering if the cold weather is having an effect (blood being used to keep the body warm?).

After warm-up, I use 2 laps of the track to bring the HR up to target, but still get a 'fast' first mile. Not sure if this is good or bad, but it's consistent.