Saturday, August 16, 2008

8/16/08

Yesterday's morning run was an exercise in bug collecting. No need to look for them in Tucson this time of year, they'll find you soon enough if you're running between the hours of 5 and 7 in the morning. I was basically a human windshield for 12 slow recovery miles, and while the legs appreciated the slow pace I grew tired of digging critters out of my eyes, nostrils and ears. Thankfully I squeezed a shower in before biking Haiden to school afterwards.

After work I added a second run in an effort to get back a few of the miles I'd missed by doing singles on Monday and Tuesday. Even at a slow pace it was a grind, mostly due to the 94 degree temperature and the maddening one mile up-one mile down loop I circled near Kiera's Mom's house. Thankfully she fed and watched the kids while I pounded away on what are comically the flattest roads in their subdivision. I spent the time growling "No more fall marathons" to myself, though after uttering this to Kiera the other morning she reminded me I swore them off last year after Twin Cities. Runners either have short memories or live in denial, or perhaps a touch of both.

This morning I hit the road for my up-tempo day, and I broke out the new Garmin Kiera bought me for my birthday to grab some data along the way. This one collects heart rate data, but I'm finding on faster days it's better if I only look at it afterwards (last Saturday's debacle is a good case in point). This time I stayed much closer to Mystery Coach's target pace of 6:24-6:29, and as you might expect things went much better than last week. After 3.5 miles through the neighborhood I ran 5 miles on the track, followed by about another 2.5 miles home. Since I was heading downhill I kept the additional mile at the same pace, and I felt good upon finishing the run. I used the watch instead of GPS on the track (of course), but the information was interesting:

8/16/08
11 miles, 1h10m, around 6:22 pace, 153HR
3.5 miles at 6:23 pace, 153HR
Then 6:15, 6:22, 6:22, 6:22, 6:24 154HR (track)
2.5 miles at 6:22 pace, 153HR
Sleep: 5h 6/10 (played doctor, waiter and therapist to the kids throughout the night)
Legs: 8/10 Good day
Weather: 79 degrees, 62 dew-point

The heart rate is finally leveling out again, albeit at a higher rate and a slower pace than I would like. Hopefully Tuesday's evaluation will help interpret the numbers.

8/15/08
12 miles, 1h28m, 7:23 pace
Sleep: 6h 6/10
Legs: 6/10 Dragging a bit and stiff
Weather: 74 degrees, 66 dew-point

8/15/08 pm., 5 hot miles at 7:27 pace, blah

8/14 pm., 5 easy miles on the treadmill around 7:40 pace
45 minutes of basic weights, no plyometrics

2 comments:

Love2Run said...

Runner memory, is there such a thing? Not that I can recall... Therapist too, eh?

Mike said...

...Probably "dream interpreter" would be a more accurate description than therapist for last night, though the waiter bit is spot on. If I screamed for a glass of ice-water at 2 in the morning I'm pretty sure I know where I'd get kicked. For some reason our 3-year-old gets away with it though.