Saturday, August 02, 2008

8/2/08

It's great to be home. I had to endure an extra day in Reno, which meant flying home on Friday instead of Thursday. Note to all air travelers out there: Don't book with Travelocity if there's any chance you might need to change your flight. It took almost 40 minutes on the phone and a fair amount of money to catch the same flight a day later.

My plans of running consistent doubles while in Reno collided with the reality of my body's aversion to honest to goodness labor. Standing on concrete for 9 hours a day while boxing, crating, carrying and arranging artwork in a warehouse without air conditioning pretty much did me in. By the end of each workday I was content to ride my borrowed bicycle back to my hotel, take my shoes off and put my feet up on a pillow while resting on the bed before dinner. I'm thankful my workdays are generally much more sedate while at home in Tucson.

Aside from feeling great on Monday and Tuesday's runs, I felt generally fatigued all week. When I laced up the shoes this morning for ten up-tempo miles I initially felt pretty much the same, but surprisingly I found my groove early on. At four miles in the average heart rate was 148 with an average pace of 6:16, which looked much better than my last evaluation run on July 22. I made an effort to slow down and get back on pace for the last six miles though, which hopefully kept me from burning too much fuel today before tomorrow's planned long run.

8/2/08
10 miles, 1h04m, 6:22 pace, avg. HR 152
Resting HR: 40
Sleep: 6h 6/10 (the downside of being home is being woken up three times by the kids)
Legs: 8/10
Nice up-tempo run on my first day back in Tucson. Still hot, sticky and buggy here

8/1/08
10 miles, 1h09m, 6:55 pace
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 7/10
Temperature: 62 degrees and perfect

7/31/08
10 miles, 1h08m, 6:49 pace
Sleep: 8h, 9/10
Legs: 7/10
Temperature: 62 degrees

7/30/08
7 miles, 50m, 7:12 pace
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 4/10 Felt like dog doo
Temperature: 63 degrees

4 comments:

Thomas said...

When I first read that you were "boxing" in Reno I visualised an entirely different kind of boxing.

Joseph P. Wood said...

When I first read that you were "boxing" in Reno I visualised an entirely different kind of boxing.

Hell, if they can make an Olympic sport of rifle shooting and XC skiing, why not a Marathon followed by 6 six rounds of welterweight sparring?

Mike said...

Maybe I'll retire from marathoning after New York and try my luck on the ultimate fighting championship circuit.

Ewen said...

Bulk up a bit first ;)

At least the pay would be better!